New Mexico Frugal Travel Guide

Category New Mexico
San Miguel de Socorro church, New Mexico
New Mexico has something for just about every traveler, whether you enjoy winter sports, hiking, ancient Native American ruins, eating, or shopping you will find it in this gorgeous soutwestern state. This page has tips, photos and guides for traveling to New Mexico.

I am looking for suggestions (best time to visit, best sights to see, best places to stay) when visiting New Mexico from other travelers to the state or those living in New Mexico.

Thank you,
Ba Rok

Answers

Best Answer

I just love the state of New Mexico! I have lived all my life in Texas, but if I ever can, I want to move to Carlsbad, NM. The caverns of Carlsbad are just stunning, and if you go in the summer, you can see the large bat family come out at evening to feed! Also try and go up into the mountains, the Five Star Point is just breathtaking! We did our own sightseeing, and found beautiful clear pools of water in the oddest places, so peaceful and quiet. The whole area has just a beauty and peace that is fantastic. I so loved to see the desert and in the background, towering snow capped mountains. I hope you enjoy the beauty of the desert in New Mexico, we sure did!

Best Answer

If you are a member of AAA I would go there and ask for a tour book on New Mexico.They supply travel books at no charge to AAA members.It will list all kinds of things to do as well as places to stay,eat,points of interest as well as maps.

If you are not a member go to your local book store and browse the travel section and read the tour books about New Mexico.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

While touring Santa Fe, New Mexico, we stopped to tour the Loretto Chapel, which is home to the Miraculous Staircase built by "St. Joseph, the Carpenter."

At the end of the Old Santa Fe Trail stands the Loretto Chapel. Inside the Gothic structure is the staircase referred to as miraculous, inexplicable, marvelous and is sometimes called St. Joseph's Staircase. The stairway confounds architects, engineers and master craftsmen.

It makes over two complete 360-degree turns, stands 20 feet tall and has no center support. It rests solely on its base and against the choir loft. The risers of the 33 steps are all of the same height. Made of an apparently extinct wood species, it was constructed with only square wooden pegs without glue or nails.

By Jillian

Comment Like this photo? 27

This is the long horn I spotted driving out of a canyon in New Mexico. He was standing there almost posing so I took advantage of the opportunity and snatched this magnificent photograph.

By Anna

Longhorn Cattle (New Mexico)

Comment Like this photo? 11

Here are just a few photos of the beautiful caverns found underground in Carlsbad, New Mexico. There are several caverns to see, all of them unique and gorgeous. The tour took us a couple of hours, but I could have stayed much longer.

Just remember to take along a jacket or sweater no matter what time of year it is. It's chilly and moist down there! I plan on going back and taking more pictures. It's definitely one of the neatest places I've ever seen!

By Jillian

Comment Like this photo? 7

We were on vacation in Juarez when I saw this on the side of the road. Naturally, I had to take a picture. I have never figured out how this was done.

By Kenneth S.

Car Decorated With White Iron Work in Mexico

Comment Like this photo? 7

My husband and I took a 4 hour hike along Trail #22 in White Mountain Wilderness, Ruidoso, New Mexico. I was moved by its beauty. This is a place we return to every year.

By Rene T. from Hamilton, TX

Comment Like this photo? 2

Coming over a hill in a tiny town in New Mexico; we saw the sunlight play on the other hills around us.

Sunrise (New Mexico)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2