North Carolina Frugal Travel Guide

Category North America

Finding fun ways to save money can make for a great vacation. This is a North Carolina frugal travel guide.

I'm enjoying watching people ski down the mountain at Beech Mountain NC. It was so warm this week, just about all the snow melted but it's cold again and it has also snowed plus they are making snow for the slopes.

I think you will enjoy watching the action in our beautiful North Carolina mountains.

Link: http://www.resortcams.com/webcams/beech-mountain-summit/

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Bald River Falls in the North Carolina mountains. One of the largest waterfalls and it will take your breath away!

By Lou Ann

Bald River Falls in the North Carolina mountains.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

Living in the central part of North Carolina, it's a 3-4 hour drive to the mountains or to the beach. My husband and I can have a great time traveling to the coast or to the mountains for a day trip.

This colorful fall shot was taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looking at the top of the mountain, above the little red tree, you can see a gap. Crossing the gap is the Grandfather Mountain mile high swinging bridge. I can see the bridge in my large photo, but am not sure if it will show up on Thriftyfun. Years ago, when we went up on Grandfather Mountain, I did not have enough nerve to cross that bridge. This is something that I want to do. I will put it on my bucket list.

By littergitter from NC

Scenic fall color photo.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Photo Description
Many times I have wished I had taken a picture of a building or an old house that is no longer there, especially old homes where I grew up. I look at this old house, that is still standing today, and wonder about the families that once lived there. I can just imagine them sitting around the fireplace or cooking on the old wood stove and enjoying a simple life, no TV, computer, phone, or the other luxuries we have today that make life so busy.

Photo Location
Franklin County, NC

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

This was taken from the top of Grandfather Mountain State Park, in North Carolina. Even though it was cloudy, it was a beautiful view.

Mountain view with rocks in foreground

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

It seems a million years ago, but, it was only 5 years ago, that my hubby and I had a pre-wedding vacation! A pre-honeymoon if you will, and we chose to go to OBX! The Outer Banks in North Carolina.

A Stormy Day in Outer Banks North Carolina

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

In North Carolina, it's the end of another beautiful day at Carolina Beach State Park.

Sunset (Carolina Beach State Park Marina, NC)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

We were in Cherokee, NC last October (at the base of the Smokies), and came across this bamboo jungle in a park. I loved it so much, that I had to snap a picture of it.

A bamboo forest in Cherokee, NC

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

My husband and I were heading out in the boat for a early morning fishing trip and I took this photo in the boat while it was moving! Beautiful September morning in Coastal North Carolina!

A golden sunrise over the ocean in North Carolina.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

This is a view of Hot Springs, NC at dusk, from the top of Serpentine Road. I have come here with my love more than once, sometimes at night, to view the twinkling lights.

When I have had to come alone, I have taken photos and shown them to him, at various times of the day or night.

A view looking down the mountain at Hot Springs, NC.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

On our travels, we love to visit places that have old world charm and architecture. Here is a fountain that I had to capture. Love all the wonderful details!

Comment Like this photo? 6

I looked out the kitchen window to check for frost damage to my plants. My eyes caught the reddest sunrise of my life.

October Sunrise From My Garden

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Driving along the Natahala River in Western North Carolina is a beautiful experience. I stopped to snap a few photos of the natural beauty and this kayaker came along.

Kayaking the Natahala

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

This was taken from the boat we were on during our trip to the Outer Banks, North Carolina. Gorgeous sky, perfect weather. Loved being by the ocean!

Photo of an Outer Banks North Carolina

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

During the 40s and 50s, when our family traveled to Louisburg to visit the aunts, we would take the longer route and ride by Laurel Mill. I remember stopping and going inside the mill, watching the corn being ground and walking around and listening to the water run over the dam.

I developed a love for old mills.

An old mill in Franklin County, NC

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

To watch live web cams on our North Carolina beaches, type www.surfchex.com in your web search. You can pull up a beach and there are other beaches listed at the bottom of the screen that you can click on.

A web cam showing a beach in North Carolina.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Everyone loves to boat and hike and every other kind of nature opportunity in Asheville, NC region. This is a great little lake bordering a fancy neighbourhood, and this boat corral region belongs to the neighboring community.

A collection of kayaks, canoes and other boats stacked on a green lawn.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

I love watching a beautiful sunset. This is a view of the Cape Fear River at Fort Fisher, North Carolina. Fort Fisher has a museum, aquarium, State Park on the ocean, ferry that crosses the Cape Fear River over to South Port and some good fishing.

Peace Like A River (Cape Fear River, Fort Fisher, NC)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Last summer, we visited Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park in Scotland Neck, NC. We almost missed this exhibit. The aquarium is located in the restroom building along with a honeybee hive that you can observe busy bees at work.

Sylvan Heights Waterfowl Park (NC)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

A beautiful view in the North Carolina mountains, about 30 miles from where I live.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Answers:

North Carolina Mountains

Keeper here "In the"Foothills" of the Blue Ridge Mts., Morganton. (09/13/2007)

By Keeper

North Carolina Mountains

Beautiful! We lived in NC for several years but now live in Wisconsin. It is pretty up here, but I LOVE and MISS the mountains! (09/13/2007)

By Becky Owens

North Carolina Mountains

Is that the New River? Did you take the pic or is that one of GB's? (09/13/2007)

By Melanie from Wilkesboro, NC

North Carolina Mountains

One of the most beautiful places on earth. Thanks for the picture. Wish I lived that close. (09/13/2007)

By Marie

North Carolina Mountains

How beautiful! I used to live on the French Broad river outside Ashville and this photo really made me miss it! So beautiful and peaceful... (09/13/2007)

By Kathy K Sweet

North Carolina Mountains

Momof1, Thank for the beautiful serene photo. I lived in the Sierra Nevadas from 95-02' I sure miss them! Brings back a lot of memories! NC is gorgeous, lucky you!

Jennifer CA (09/13/2007)

By Jennifer

North Carolina Mountains

Very beautiful. I love mountains too. (09/14/2007)

By Janice C.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Travel and Recreation Travel Guides North AmericaMarch 11, 2013
🐰
🌻
👒
😷
🐛