Oak Table Refinishing

I have sanded an oak kitchen table as recommended, washed with water, and dried. I stained with Minwax stain then used water based Varathane. It now has 7 coats and the dark grains look as though they are repelling the finish. I did not sand between coats, but re-coated at least 2 1/2 hours or longer and no longer than 12 hrs. Help! Do I have to start from scratch?

By D R

The only thing I can think of is that after you washed it that the dark places had a looser grain and the water stayed in the grain where it didn't in the lighter grain. The moisture may have lifted the grain. Urethane is not easy to refinish. I think I would live with it the way it is.