Octopus in Sprite
Octopus meat can get a rubberized texture when cooked. Sprite helps to tenderize the meat and make a flavor filled dish.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
We love to eat octopus especially when done in our famous traditional cooking method called "adobo". But when they are big enough, the meat can be as elastic as rubber when eaten. So we use sprite to tenderize and add a better taste to this dish.
- 600-700 grams octopus (1 pc small octopus)
- 2 Tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup cane vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground pepper corn
- 3 laurel leaves
- 400 ml water
- 700 ml sprite
- Remove the octopus beak under its tentacles. Chop octopus in pieces. Small tentacles can be 2 inches and bigger ones should be chopped shorter so it can be easily cooked.
- Place this in a pot then add garlic, onion, ginger, pepper corns and laurel leaves.
- Pour soy sauce, vinegar and about 200 ml of water.
- Place over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Pour sprite and keep boiling. Take note that octopus meat can get a rubberized texture when overcooked so check on its tenderness from time to time.
- If sauce reduces while it is not yet tender enough add some more water but if it's already in perfect texture, remove the meat from the pot and keep the sauce boiling until it has reduced and becomes thick.
- Put octopus meat in a serving plate and drizzle with sprite sauce.
October 11, 20190 found this helpful
I have only tried octopus a one or two times before! Looks good :)