Olive Oil as a Moisturizer

I've been reading about using olive oil as a moisturizer, and I have one question: What about SPF protection? I don't want to trade wrinkles and dry skin now for skin cancer later. Thanks.

Judy from Leesburg, VA

Answers:

Olive Oil as a Moisturizer

I've used olive oil to remove my eye and face makeup and I've also used it as a moisturizer. If I use olive oil as a moisturizer for during the day, I use the oil first and then put on the highest sunblock I can find. Then I put my foundation, powder, whatever on after the sunblock. (11/30/2009)

By metroplex

Olive Oil as a Moisturizer

Unless you spend a lot of time in the sun I wouldn't worry about SPF protection and there's always the alternative of wearing a cap or brimmed hat and loose cotton clothing if you do spend a lot of time in the sunshine :-) Also, the hype of a high SPF is just that, hype :-( (12/01/2009)

By Ann

Olive Oil as a Moisturizer

I look for products without the SPF. Someday they will probably tell us that it was a bad thing. My granny worked as a farmer for 70 years, out in the sun everyday, and never got cancer anywhere! She lived to be 96. She is my role model. (12/01/2009)

By hopeful

Olive Oil as a Moisturizer

Use a Noxzema type product first. An extremely thin layer prevents exposure to sun. That is I can't burn or tan when I use it. I have very sensitive skin and just driving in the car can sometimes burn my skin. This helps. I also use the olive oil all over with a little bit of shea butter. (12/01/2009)

By kimsukie

Olive Oil as a Moisturizer

I have used olive oil for years for moisturizer, after I wash my face with pure honey. The honey is a natural cleanser, and the olive oil alone is a perfect moisturizer. This has been my only beauty treatment for many years and I am told I look no where near my 58 years of age. And since I am allergic to sunscreens, I use Bare Minerals as a base. (02/19/2010)

By Winona

You say you use honey to clean your face........how do you do that; I would like to try it.