AdviceToddler and Preschooler

Orange Oily Stool from Eating Cashews

The "Great Cashew Caper of 2017" in our household involved mysterious orange oily poop in our toddler's potty chair. After some online research and logical deduction, we determined that it was not caused by a horrible disease, but from eating an excessive amount of cashews!

As it turns out, our 3 year old had eaten close to an entire bag of cashews in one day. The orange oily stool lasted for almost 3 days, but it was otherwise an uneventful situation. :)

Note: There are other more serious things that can cause orange oily stool, so it may be a good idea to head to the doctor if you haven't just eaten too many cashews.

Top Comment

Glad I found this!! My five year old ate a container of cashews over three days and now she has this orange oily stuff and a lot of gas! It's also in her panties, poor thing. Hoping it passes soon!

So glad I found this, had a bit of a freak out when mr almost 3 had a weird oily poo. We just brought ourselves a treat, we will take is easy on the cashews from now on.

I am so happy to read this. My daughter has downed 2 bags of grab n go cashews over the last 2 days and has drops of orange oil in her poo as well and horrible stomach cramps to go with it.

I'm currently experiencing this problem I'm on day 2 ..How long dose it take to go away or is there anything that I need to do or take to help it go away ????

Thanks lol i ate cashews most of yesterday and today. I saw orange oil in my stool just now. So I googled the first things I show had me ready to make a dr appt. Now that im aware of the culprit no need for that because I have never had this problem before.

Lol funny thing I asked my boys had one of them pour some type of oil in the toilet. I normally looked in the toilet before I use it, but not this time so I wasnt sure it was in there in advance. Then it dawned on me no I that out.

Oh my gosh am I grateful to have found this. I seriously was about to FREAK OUT! My daughter and her cashews almost gave me a coronary :-/

Thank you so much for sharing, I was convinced I had pancreatic c. I ate a ton of cashews the other day, and seeing this gave me peace. (I'll still consult w/doc.)