Organizing Recycling Items

In an effort to recycle even more at our house, I put a small recycling bin in our bathroom. Now we can easily recycle the tp tubes, paper tp wrappers, and any little cardboard packages that end up in the bathroom. It seems that if its easy people are more willing to recycle it. :)

More Solutions

This might be one of those times when this only bugs me. But if not you are one of those who hates when box flaps get in the way.

A long soda box with the flaps tied back.

It was always such a bother to sort garbage to recycle, that I did not do it. Now I live in a rural area and pay to have my garbage picked up, so decided that I would recycle.

Make more room in your recycling bin! Step on your 2 litre plastic bottles to remove most of the air and then put the cap back on the bottle.

I like to keep my empty aluminum cans hanging on a string of yarn. I tie the first can onto the yarn. The other cans I string on this through the pull tab.

Keep your recycling container right beside your garbage can in the kitchen. I was leaving mine by the porch and it was just too easy to throw things into the garbage.

I found these IKEA recycle bins for just $3.33 each at my local thrift store. Being a rabid recycler, I needed something for the narrow entryway in my apartment. These are just what I needed.

Narrow white IKEA recycle bins in a doorway.

I keep a pasteboard box (used for cereal, soda pack, etc.) handy in the kitchen; when I empty a smaller box, I flatten it and put it in there. When it's packed full, I take it to the recycling dump and just toss it in.

I don't have a company that comes to pick up my recycled items, I have to drop them off, so outside I have plastic storage totes. I have different colors for the glass, cans, etc.

11 Questions

Organizing items, like newspapers, bottles and cans, that you plan to recycle. Post your ideas.

Answers

Best Answer

Keep your recycling container right beside your garbage can in the kitchen. I was leaving mine by the porch and it was just too easy to throw things into the garbage. I use a small bathroom size garbage can that I empty daily into the recycling bin.

By Liz from Ontario

Best Answer

I don't have a company that comes to pick up my recycled items, I have to drop them off, so outside I have plastic storage totes. I have different colors for the glass, cans, etc. When they get full, I just load them in my car and haul them away. It is a lot easier to lug the totes around than it is to lug big, full trash cans around.

I use a cleaning bucket that I placed under the sink. After I rinse my items, I toss them into that and sort them out when I go outside. I don't have a large amount daily so I just wait until it gets full. It is still small enough to sort out quickly, but large enough to keep them off the counters.

Answer this Question

How do you know what/which plastic and cans are accepted at recycling stations? Every time I go (and think I have it right) I end up bringing back at least 1/4, sometimes more of what I take. It is like the workers decide week to week what they will and won't take in.

What numbers on the bottom makes a plastic okay for recycle? Also how do you know if a can is metal or aluminum? It makes it seem like it is not worth the effort to save this stuff for a month or more and have to bring part of it back home.

By Shirley

Answers

Best Answer

At my recycle station they have posted a list of acceptable item for recycling. Usually on the bottom of a plastic container is a number within a triangle. For example on a jug of Tide washing machine soap is a number 2 enclosed in a triangle.
Aluminum is a metal. Soft drink cans are aluminum and vegetable, soup, and fish cans are zinc coated tin or steel.
The recycle guys should have a list of acceptable items for recycling.

Answer this Question
Organizing Garbage and RecyclingAugust 5, 2011
🌻
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Organizing-Recycling-Items-Guide.html