Organizing Your Car

Category Auto
Keeping your car orderly can help you find what you need easily. This guide is about organizing your car.

I am a teacher and am always transporting stuff back and forth to school and my car can get cluttered very easily. My pet peeve is to hear things sliding around in the back of my SUV.

So I took a laundry basket to organize all the (necessary) junk in my car. Umbrellas, book bags, sun visors, etc. and I put Velcro strips on the bottom of the basket. It is the kind that has a sticky back and not the sew on type. The Velcro grabs the carpet in the back and won't let it slide around. Love it!

By Paula Scott from GA

I was tired of not having a good place to store toys/books in the van, so I took an empty cat litter box, covered the words with contact paper, and attached a divided bucket to the lid with duct tape. It fits perfectly in between the seats and we can store stuff in the bottom and the top.

By Jennifer Sharp from LaGrange, KY

This was a project stemmed out of necessity but turned into something very handy. I have a van with front seats that sit high on their bases. Both seats are enclosed on the back. The passenger seat has a door on the front but the driver's seat is open. Plenty of room for stuff under the drivers seat.

Directions:

The problem was when you came to a quick stop all that stuff slid onto the floor in front on the seat and under your feet. I decided to make something to go across the front of the seat and hold the stuff under the seat under the seat.

Eventually I decide the best thing was a piece of cloth that I could duct tape in place; quick easy solution. Then I had the idea to use Velcro tape. That way the band would be removable to easier access the stuff below the seat.

In looking for material to be the band, I came across an old pillow case. At first I was going to cut the bottom out and have a pouch. All I would need to do to make it more durable would be to turn the edge and sew it. Then I realized it would be better to cut the top of the pillow case off, turn it inside out, sew the bottom together and turn it inside in. Voila - pouch with finished edges. Before cutting the pillow case, I took it out to the van and held it up to the seat base to see what I wanted the width to be.

I used Velcro that was fairly wide and had adhesive. I measured it out the width of the pouch I made, stuck it on and sewed it onto the pillow case pouch along the top and the bottom

Then, with the two halves of Velcro together on each side I put the pouch up against each side of the seat so I would know where I wanted them to stick. I wanted equal overhang on each side. Once I knew where I wanted it I marked one outside edge with a pencil.

I took the adhesive off one side and carefully lined it up with the pencil mark and attached it to the side of the seat. Then I took the other side of the pouch across to the other side of the seat. Pulled off the adhesive cover and pressed it into place.

All done. And then I found a bonus to the way I made it. The areas where I left the Velcro open (not sewn) made little pouches on the side of the seat. And because the pillowcase had a wide edge finished edge on the top these areas are hard to see through. Perfect spot to stash emergency cash on trips. If you have car trouble, you lose your wallet or some unexpected expense arises with your planned activities you have cash available. You can slip credit cards or money cards on the other side. Whatever you have in the side, as long as it isn't to big or bulky, you can't see just by looking in the pouch.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

I have a full size van and on occasion when hauling groceries if I don't tie the bags closed the contents end up rolling up into the van on a quick stop or falling out when I open the door after driving up a hill.

Keep linen tote bags in your car. They can fold up nicely and can be stashed in a console or under a seat. Instead of having arm loads of things to carry in and making several trips to the car to clear it out.

I need car organizing tips.

By paty

Answers

What do you have in your car that needs to be organized. The only things that have ever stayed in my car are the required papers, in the glove compartment. In the trunk there was the spare tire and necessary equipment, and a small box with a roll of paper towels, a plier, a screw driver, a couple bottles of extra oil, a funnel, a few rags, etc.

There was still room for luggage and/or groceries and/or other shopping bags.

Then I had a blanket folded up on the back seat. Anything that didn't belong in the car got taken out whenever we got out of the car. We also never had anything to eat or drink in the car unless we were eating take out from a fast food drive up, then we stopped someplace and ate the stuff, thus removing most of the chance of spills.

I wanted to know how others organized their car. I have my survival gear in the back in a small rolling suitcase, also I have another small suitcase for survival food and flashlight, a small stove goes in there also. Another small bag goes under my seat with toothbrush and paste with some herbs and hand wipes. This bag comes in handy many times. My problem is that middle glove box. For some reason it gets messy, I like organized! It is an awkward place. So that is my dilemma.

How do you go about organizing your car?

By Elaine Ball from Alamo, TN

Answers

Anonymous

What do you need to organize?

Are you talking about the trunk of your car? I use a milk crate that I found on the side of the road too. Mine is organized. I keep extra oil, booster cable, small tools. I have a small tire air compressor I keep there also.