Organizing an Office

Category Office
Organizing Your Office
You can use the same type of organizing skills that you use at home to get your office under control. This is a guide about organizing an office.

I really need to declutter my office; that means take down a lot of old pictures. That would free up a lot space I can use for office supplies. My office is very small and would I hang a couple a large pictures.

By colshome381

If you can get a tall bookshelf i think it might work well for you .... using bins or small boxes nad LABEL everything would making finding things easy and organized.

I think you should digitalize as many papers as possible. Store on a backup drive or the cloud. Papers are what cause a lot of clutter. You can always print out if you need a hard copy.

I work in an office for a chain of grocery stores. I need some ideas for organizing it.

Georgiegirl from Tennessee

Look at a kindergarten. Everything there is organized by task. There are the pots of paint and safety scissors, over in the art corner with the easels and paper. There is a story area where books are kept and there's a comfy rug to sit on. There is a place for naps, with mats to nap on. Equipment is stored near where it is used, and every area has clearly defined functions. Everything is bright and happy colors, and sometimes things are color coded to make it easier to find or match them.

When it's time for cleanup, it is so simple and obvious what goes where that the children can and do clean up without having to ask the teacher where anything goes, etc.

I'd follow this principle with your office. What do you need to do? What items will you need to do it? Group things together by funtion in different areas of your office. Even if you don't feel you're organized I bet there is at least one part of the current layout that really works for you. Figure out why it works and try to apply that to the less-organized parts. I'd even say go with colors where you can. If something comes in a real color or office putty, go with the real color, it'll help your morale.

One thing I learned to do for my home office, which might work for your work office, is to color code your files. In my case, my taxes are in purple folders, insurance in green, car information in blue, as an example. Perhaps you can adapt this to your own work space!

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Save the little plastic hanger that comes with a new pair of socks. Load all your stray rubber bands onto the hanger. Use one rubber band to make the hinge. Loop it inside itself around the end and then hook the other end. Toss it in a drawer or hang.

By Anne from Memphis, TN

Organizing Rubber Bands

Comment Like this photo? 14