Outlet Doesn't Work When Light Is On

Category Electrical
This guide contains advice for when an outlet doesn't work when the light is on. Sometimes an outlet, that shares wiring with a light switch, doesn't work properly when the light is turned on. As with all wiring and electrical issues, it is best to have an electrician look at it. If left unfixed, it may lead to a fire.

I have an outlet in a bedroom that won't work if my hallway light is on. Not only will it not work, but when I plug something into it you can see a small spark occur. What could be the problem?

Answers

Best Answer

I would contact an electrician it could be a fire hazard.

I installed an outlet off of a light switch and it only gets power when I switch off the lights. Please help.

By Forrest

Answers

Best Answer

Well, you have the wires connected incorrectly. I suggest you find someone who knows how to do this to come and fix the problem. If you do not know a home handyman who can help you, call an electrician.

Hopefully, all you have is the wires switched about, but you may have live wires attached to something else like the metal box, since you don't know how to fix this yourself.