AdviceGardening

Pain from Stepping on Bougainvillea Thorns

I stepped on a bougainvillea thorn and it went though my shoe into my foot and hit the bone. A couple of days later I couldn't bend my toes, any pressure put on my foot was painful. It's been over a month and I still get swelling and numbness. How long will this last?

Best Answer

If you have not seen a doctor for your problem, please do so now! The continual swelling and pain are clear indications of a possible ongoing infection or other internal problems that are not improving. A month is a long time to address possible problems that could have been properly treated much earlier.

See a doctor! ASAP There may be a deeply embedded thorn in your foot or the bone. This is serious!

I believe you have had this for too long to keep trying "home" remedies so I agree that you should see a doctor as soon as possible as you may have the beginnings of blood poisoning.

I have used a mild coating of Ichthammol Salve/Ointment to remove a fresh splinter or thorn but I believe you need a doctor.

Sometimes this salve is called a "black salve" or "drawing salve" but not all black salves are created equal so this is the only one that I use. It has always worked for me but if it had not worked in 3-4 days, I would be my way to see a doctor.

Infection happens fast and may need a strong medicine to stop it.

You could try soaking your foot in a strong Epson salt and hot water solution (as hot as you can stand) several times a day - but just until your doctor's appointment.

I have another suggestion if you would contact me (through Thrifty site).

See a doctor. You may have a piece of thorn pressing on a nerve, or you may have blood poisoning.