Painting Baskets

Category Painting
To give a new purpose or just to liven them up, baskets can be spray or brush painted. This is a guide about painting baskets.

I buy baskets at Goodwill to use as harvesting baskets for my garden. While they work awesome, not all baskets are meant to be used this way because they are not sealed. They are easily ruined by being set on the wet ground or from holding damp vegetables and fruit. Plus they frequently get stained. Good luck getting plum stains out.

So after losing a couple because I just couldn't get them clean. I decided that I don't want to lose anymore baskets. I love the ones I pick out for carrying my crops. My solution to this problem was to seal the baskets with spray paint. I recommend doing multiple coats so that the finish is more durable for cleaning.

While I love their natural look I want them to last for years. I decided to paint them super bright colors. The bonus is that the bright colors make them way easier to find when I need too and they are now sealed so I can hose them off if need be. Water can no longer claim the "lives" of my favorite baskets and now they are bright and cheerful! No mold or dirt stains to make them ugly either.
NOTE: Rustolium has always been my favorite because it is self-leveling and easy to deal with. Plus it has a new handle that attaches, so no more hand cramping!

Great Idea. I will try this with my baskets that I keep inside and never use.