Painting Over Dark Paint

What is primer? Can you please describe what it is or perhaps better still its purpose. I really need to know how to paint dark paint without removing it as I am highly allergic to that stuff that removes the old paint.

By Joan

Primer is like an undercoat that people put on before painting. It is supposed to make coverage easier, especially over dark colors, etc. However, I have seen ads on TV from some of the Home Improvement stores that say there is a paint that they stock that will cover over dark colors without primer or a even more coats of paint. They show using it on walls that have previously been painted in black and white stripes. Consult one of these stores and see what they have and what they say.

A primer is used under a top coat to allow the top coat to adhere to the substrate. With out a primer the top coat will peel. Stains and semi transparent stains do not need primers.

You can also go to google.com and type in " What is a paint primer" or other words that have paint primer in the question.

A lot of paints these days have the primer already in them. Check the label to see if the color and brand you want has the primer in it. Also, there is a product on the market called KILZ. You can apply a couple of coats over your walls (2 if your going from dark to light). I always go with the paint with the primer already included and have never had a problem with coverage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. I will follow your advice starting today. We have a three day weekend. When I do not know how to directly translate a word, I have to fully understand the function so I can explain it to the vendor. I think I will be able to cope now.

Have a good weekend.

Buy Behr paint at Home Depot. It is awesome! After my Mom & Dad passed away, I had to get their house ready to sell. My Mom loved dark green, & she painted their living room & kitchen a very dark green, even the ceilings! I bought a white paint that had just a hint of pale gray to paint the walls & pure white for the ceilings. It covered in one coat. No having to paint a second coat. I love that paint!

Some companies I think Glidden,Behr & Benjamin Moore plus others have the primer & paint mixed right in. I would suggest going to the different paint sites & asking there 1st. If you might find a safer stripper; so you'll have a smooth painted surface on what you're painting. Then buy primer/paint in one can. Although some paints cover well without primer, you will probably need to strip 1st & I would inquire about that as well. Making an informed decision will save you $$$ & time. Good Luck. : )