Painting on Plastic

Category Painting
Painting
Painting on plastic can be tricky unless you follow certain procedures or use paints especially designed for use on plastics. This is a guide about painting on plastic.

I use a lot of recyclable goods for craft projects. I want to use the white plastic from store bought frosting containers (and other items) to make some jewelry and ornaments but I can't seem to paint the plastic. Is there something I could use as a sealer or primer before I start painting? Thanks,

Angie

Answers

Have you tried Krylon Fushion Paint for plastic? I haven't tried it but I've read that others have had good results.

you have to rough up the surface with a light grade sand paper for the paint to have something to grab onto.

Delta makes a paint for plastic. You can find it at craft stores and maybe Walmart. I have tried it and it works. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby.

Hi Angie

Krylon makes a paint for plastic in a spray can they also make a regular paint so make sure the can says krylon for plastic.

Liz

folk art (I think) acryclic paints has mediums to use to paint on glass you could try that and it is way cheap and you can use your regular craft paints

UPDATE!!!!!! I was just at walmart in the spray paint section and saw a paint for plastic projects. I don't remember the brand name (I was trying to decide which type of clear coat to buy) but it was right there along with all the other spray paints and it looked like there was a decent selection of colors as well

hope this helps

Kat

Can u paint on plastic with pottery paint?

I want to paint on plastic PVC. Am wondering if I used a coat of Krylon fusion spray paint first, would I be able to paint a design on that using regular acrylic paints?

I found this website that has instructions for painting plastic barrels so it should work for PVC, kmart has Krylon here, so does Walmart.

http://www.ne-d  arrel-paint.html

I have a pontoon that has four corner made of plastic polyresin (i think) I would like to change the color and have trouble getting paint to stick. Do you have any solutions. Thank you in advance

Patti,

I just called the tech support people at Krylon (listed on the paint can). I am painting plastic pots with their indoor/outdoor paint. Unfortunately, they don't make the color (pumpkin orange) I want in their fusion plastic paint.

They advised me to go to an automotive store and get Adhesion Promotor by Dupli-Color.

'Hope this helps...

I paint on a lot of different surfaces, so I've pretty much tried everything. The plastic paint does work well, but doesn't hold up well unless you put a sealer over it. I've found the one that I prefer is the satin finish Kilz clear spray paint. It's available at WalMart. You do need several coats. But, be sure to allow drying time between coats. Lightly sanding the surface with at least a 120 grit sandpaper will help adhesion.

When painting PVC pipe try use an oil based primer that you can get from home depot or lowes. Then paint with the color that you want.

We are having a family get together soon. I am tired of recycling all those water and Gatorade bottles. How can I prep the empty bottles for the kids to paint (so they use the same bottle all weekend), wash, and reuse? Do I use a plastic primer then acrylic or oil based paint or do I use the Krylon primer? Thanks.

By Sarah

I have green plastic patio chairs that are faded. What kind of paint can I use to refresh them?

Arcy from Bloomer, WI

There are paints made especially for plastic....Krylon Fusion, to name one.

Kylon makes a paint specially for plastic- comes in many colors- be sure to lightly sand and clean all lthe surfaces to be painted

You might also want to consider doing a decopage treatment on the chairs, there are all kinds of cheap gift wrap papers at the dollar stores that you could purchase inexpensively and decopage on; and then spray on a sealer coat once it had dried. Even tissue paper comes in lots of colors and designs, and don't worry about wrinkles, it gives it character.

Our school P&C has bought some large heavy duty plastic banners to advertise our events. What sort of paint should we use on them and how should we store them to make them last?

By Sue from Palm Beach, Queensland