Making Pizza Dough Empanadas
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
September 12, 2016
Craving meat and cheese empanadas the other day, with no time or ingredients to make my own dough, I grabbed some ready made pizza dough. With leftover chicken, I made these in the toaster oven. So good!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 empanadas
- 1 lb pizza dough (I used Rhodes, they come in preformed mini balls)
- 2 cups chicken, cooked & chopped
- 1 small hot pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- flour for dusting
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 400F Cover dough with plastic while making filling. Chop onion, tomato and pepper.
- Add oil to pan and heat to medium high heat. Cook onion, tomato and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic salt, cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- Add cooked chicken and cilantro. Cook for a couple minutes. Remove from heat.
- Lightly flour work surface and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Take a 5 or 6 inch round cookie cutter, glass or bowl, and cut the dough into circles.
- Flatten the disks gently with rolling pin.
- Sprinkle each disc with cheese and 2 Tbsp of the filling.
- Fold dough over in half to enclose filling.
- Seal the edges with a fork. Repeat on the rest of the empanadas.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg yolk and 1 tsp water to make an egg wash.
- Transfer empanadas to a baking sheet and brush the top sides with egg wash.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.