Planting Trees

In trying to decide about planting new trees and what kind, go to your state's extension service. Google (mine) "Minnesota extension service", find gardens, then trees and it will tell you what trees are the native species you should plant for your area as well as the "do not plant" versions, due to disease that can happen.

Gardening/seed/trees catalogues cannot be that specific in their information when sending them to the general public. You just get the zone number it is rated for.

More Solutions

When planting a tree in a limited area, I use a piece of PVC, the plastic tubing for water pipes. I put it in the ground where the small tree is to be planted and hammer in the ground, leaving at least 1 inch out on top.

Spring and fall are the optimum seasons for planting trees. And although all newly planted trees experience some transplant stress, proper planting techniques can minimize the stress and get your trees off to a healthy, vigorous start.

A Guide to Planting Trees

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

4 Questions

I live in central New Jersey (zone 7) and I started maple and oak trees from seed in April. Now they are about 14 to 16 inches tall and I'm wondering when I can plant them into my backyard. Some sources say fall, some say early spring. Since I'm new to planting trees, I'm just not sure when the best time is.

By Maria S

Answers

Since you are in New Jersey it might be wise to wait till Spring when danger of frost is passed. When I was living in a rented town home in TN, I let the seeds which blew into my flower beds grow and as people bought houses. I gave them little maple trees in pots to be planted in fall or spring, whichever came first. Maple trees are truly magnificent in autumn. Thank you for keeping them.

Answer this Question

Home and Garden Gardening TreesJanuary 18, 2013
😷
📓
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Planting-Trees.html