Planting in Late Summer

Depending on your planting zone, there are a variety of garden crops as well as flowers, shrubs, and trees that can be planted in late summer. This is a guide about planting in late summer.

What seeds can you plant in August, in a shady spot?

By PJ from Lothian, MD

Answers

Best Answer

I would be wary of planting flowers in the shade this time of year. It takes at least 7-14 days to sprout and 60 days for bloom.

Best Answer

The best way to know what and when you can plant in your area is to Google your local extension service. Use the name of the biggest state university plus the words extension service to find the website. Most of the extension services have web pages geared to your specific area and are a wonderful resource!

Can I plant veggies and flowers now?

By craftslady2008 from Medina, OH

Answers

Best Answer

If you research "length of growing season in zone 6a" you find it runs from approximately 5/15-10/15. Figure out how many days are left, and you can grow things within that time frame. This information is available on seed packets, and online. Check out anything you are considering. You would have a better chance of success with plants already started than with seeds. Consider growing in containers which could be brought inside if necessary.

I am establishing a perennial flower garden. The plants (so far) have been planted between 6/1 and 7/25, and seem to be doing well. Won't know for sure until I see what comes up next year.

Best Answer

We are also in zone 6a. You can plant tulip bulbs, or any kind of flowering bulbs, now. It won't come until spring. Lettuce, radishes, peas, beans, spinach, can still be planted in your area. You can plant strawberry plants for next year and as well as fruit trees. Also, some kinds of garlic and winter onions can also be planted. Hope this helps.

I want to start an outside vegetable garden and would like to know what I can plant in August and September. Thanks.

By Christypl from North Port, FL

Answers

Best Answer

Now is a good time to plant a second season of veggies,all kinds of peas (purple hull, pink eye, black eyed), snap beans (green beans), go to your county extension site,they should have all this info there for all the time gardening. You may ask them to send you all info they have on gardening, free, good luck.

Best Answer

You can plant lettuce, onions, and garlic now; check with your local nurseries; they might have more suggestions! This is what I plant now though.
Although it is raining today, it has been really warm still here; so I plant my lettuces where they get a lot of shade. Plant a lot of different varieties; there is "nothing" as good as a salad from your own garden!