Plastic Wrapped Sweet Potato Grew Roots

My plastic covered sweet potato was kept a little long and began to grow roots. I was happy to see this because it saves me time on the rooting process.

I placed three plastic toothpicks, like a tri-pod, to hold the potato. I placed the potato in the container and filled the container, with water, about an inch above the roots. I put my plant-to-be in a shady area in my kitchen.

I am happy I will have a sweet potato plant soon, their ivy-like leaves are beautiful. I believe they are related to morning glories. Here is a photo of the sweet potato next to a poinsettia I bought at the grocery store for fifty cents. Spring will be here soon!

Anonymous

You are right. The sweet potato (ipomoea batatas) is kin to the Morning Glory, and to one of my favorites, the Moonflower Vine.

I don't know what plans you have for the vines this potato will make, but they would look very nice in a hanging basket.

I would give it as much light as possible. The leaves will need it to carry on photosynthesis.

I love these also. I am going to place it in a hanging basket soon. Here is what it looks like now ;)

Love the poinsettia!.
I love sweet potato vines also but usually just cut off the end with roots and enjoy the rest of the sweet potato.

Hope yours grows well. Thanks for sharing.
Betty