SewingCrafts

Pot Holders from Shoulder Pads

Shoulder pads are one of the things that I remove from the clothing I get as hand-me-downs or at the thrift shop. I've got nothing against them, I just have naturally large shoulders. (Thanks, Mum!) Here is how to make really cute and effective pot holders from shoulder pads.

Total Time: 1 hour

1. To draw your pattern on your paper, draw an 8 inch line vertically then a 4 inch line horizontally in the middle of it. Draw ovals around to connect the cross.
  2. Cut out the pattern and put aside.
  3. Cut off the stitches from the shoulder pads and remove the outer casing.
  4. Use your pattern to cut the shoulder pad.
  5. Trace the pattern onto your fabric.
  6. Cut out the fabric a little larger than the pattern as you are going to fold the edges. Make two of these.
  7. Stack the two pieces of fabric, but with the pattern face down. Sew them together, leaving a 2 inch gap so you can turn it inside out after you place the shoulder pad in.
  8. Insert shoulder pad. Sew a tiny bit of it onto the fabric to keep it in place, then turn it inside out.
  9. Cut your paper pattern in half and make two half-sized versions of the one you just made.
  10. Fold the bottom part twice and sew.
  11. On these half-sized fabric pieces, use an iron and the pattern to fold edges as it will be easier to sew.
  12. If you're using a sewing machine, put the mini fabrics onto the main fabric and use pins and some light hemming to secure them in place.
  13. Sew the mini fabrics onto the main fabric.
  14. Remove the place-holding stitches and pins.
  15. Your potholder is ready!