Preventing Spills in the Car

Category Helpful Hints
A child eating ice cream in a car.
Planning ahead to keep beverages and groceries from tipping over can help keep your auto clean. This guide is about preventing spills in the car.

When I take my grandson to a fast food drive-in and order a kid's meal, I make sure no messes are made in my vehicle with drinks. I take the small plastic containers that milk comes in and unscrew the cap. Instead of peeling off the protective cover, I use a nail file to stab a little hole in it and insert the straw. No more spills or dribbles! Works great!

By frugalelf from Bridgton, Maine

I usually check the lid of a detergent bottle by trying to tighten it. The one time I forgot, the bottle turned over in the car trunk and spilled. Fortunately, most of the liquid detergent ended up in the plastic bag instead of the floor of the car trunk.

I now leave a heavy duty plastic basket in the trunk to hold the groceries. I had the same thing happen with a gallon of milk some twenty years ago. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.