Preventing Spills in the Car

Category Helpful Hints
Planning ahead to keep beverages and groceries from tipping over can help keep your auto clean. This guide is about preventing spills in the car.

When I take my grandson to a fast food drive-in and order a kid's meal, I make sure no messes are made in my vehicle with drinks. I take the small plastic containers that milk comes in and unscrew the cap. Instead of peeling off the protective cover, I use a nail file to stab a little hole in it and insert the straw. No more spills or dribbles! Works great!

By Pattie McIntyre from Bridgton, Maine

I usually check the lid of a detergent bottle by trying to tighten it. The one time I forgot, the bottle turned over in the car trunk and spilled. Fortunately, most of the liquid detergent ended up in the plastic bag instead of the floor of the car trunk.

I now leave a heavy duty plastic basket in the trunk to hold the groceries. I had the same thing happen with a gallon of milk some twenty years ago. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.