Problems with Homemade Stepping Stones

Category Decorations
If you have decided to make your own personalized stepping stones for your garden or to give as a gift there may be issues that you need help with. This page addresses concerns about mix consistency, product choice, and even a name misspelling.

I am trying to troubleshoot my first attempt at making your stepping stones. Can you tell me what you think the problem might be if the stone crumbled away? I made a large one and a smaller one and it was the smaller one that has simply crumbled away, 5 days after making it.

Thank you :)

Answers

Best Answer

It would be helpful if you told us how you made them.

We have made numerous ones out of quickcrete. If you don't get enough water in or allow it to cure good, they will crumble.

Best Answer

The cement might have been too thick. You need to be able to scoop it, not pour it.

Best Answer

If you plan to make more stepping stones then it may be time to forget about what went wrong and look at directions and make sure everything is good for the next batch. Just my thoughts..

Here are a couple of excellent links for very good instructions:

www.thriftyfun.com/tf84911849.tip.html

www.thespruce.com/using-concrete-for-stepping-stones...

Any solution to this problem? I put in the name of someone on a cement garden stone and it is spelled incorrectly. Is that an easy fix - how to do that?

Answers

Best Answer

Pour more cement over it. Even it out with a trowel and try again.

Crafts Garden & Yard DecorationsOctober 11, 2019
🎃