Sealing Plaster Stepping Stones

If you made some plaster stepping stones and you want them to last it is best to seal them. This is a guide about sealing plaster stepping stones.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can use to seal a plaster stepping stone? I had my grandson make a stepping stone from a kit. It turned out to be plaster which will disintegrate outside. I had him paint it today (with acrylic paints), but now I can't find anything to seal the whole thing with. I was told to use Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish, but that is strictly for wood finishes. Please help!

By cuisinequeen

Answers

Best Answer

I would seal it with a good polyurethane (varnish) intended for outdoor use. But, I think I would keep the stepping stone indoors, maybe as a doorstop, or fireplace decoration, as the plaster will be more fragile than cement and won't bear weight. What a shame that they sell "stepping stone" kits with plaster! But, you still have a wonderful work of art!

Anonymous
Best Answer

When I re-do my gnomes and fairies outside I just use a clear gloss paint and it works perfectly and is a lot cheaper than these speciallised products they tell you to use and are basically the same.

Go To Michael's Crafts or AC Moore Crafts stores & ask them.Or even Home Depot or Lowes-They all should know,if you tell them what you want to seal. Good Luck! : )

Anonymous

I would use any of the acrylic sealing sprays...probably several coats...or there are some liquid ones to paint on, too.