Protecting Window Sills from Pet Scratches

What can I use on a bay window sill to protect it from scratches from my dog's nails. There has to be something out there. My local hardware store as no idea what vinyl moldings are, so that was a dead end. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

By cbar577329

Answers:

How about a thin sheet (about 5 mm / 1/4") of clear perspex, plexiglass (whatever you call it)? The stuff is pretty tough and resistance to light scratches. But you can cut it with a fine toothed saw, the sort you use on metal.

You might even be able to scrounge some from a building site. (04/01/2009)

By alloydog

Maybe put some type of decorative carpet/rug on the sill using the rubber non-skid liner under the rug. I don't know the size of your dog but Glad Freezer Press n' Seal may protect the sill if it's a small dog. It's supposed to be heavier than normal plastic wrap. Maybe it can be doubled. Good luck. (04/03/2009)

By mkymlp

If you have a local Lowe's or Home Depot, they may have vinyl moldings. (04/03/2009)

By Maryeileen

Think the main thing is to stop pup from jumping up. Take a little Vicks on your finger and 'spot' it across the sill. Won't hurt the pup and none of the 31 dogs that I've had over the years liked it. I put it on the wooden corners of my couch [they liked to look out the window] and after the second time it got on their paws and they licked it, never had them up on the arms again. Use only a small amount [just enough that you can see it on your finger. (04/03/2009)

By JoanDogs

Training is always best but keeping the pet's nails properly trimmed will virtually eliminate them scratching up your home.

Providing another way for the dog to see outside will also be helpful. if there's a low window or another spot where they can see out it would be easier to train them to go to the other spot to look out than to stop looking out altogether. (04/05/2009)

By dh8