HealthDogs

Puppy Leaks Urine

I have a 1 year old (we think), 16 pound, mixed breed puppy. She leaks urine constantly, and not just while she's sleeping. We've tried drops we got from a catalog for animals. Does anyone have any ideas beyond medication from the vet?

By Jaye N. from Orlando, FL

A dog that age should be completely housebroken by now. Because you write that your dog is constantly leaking, that indicates a serious medical problem that needs vet attention ASAP. It is NOT normal for the muscles of a dog's bladder and urethra to permit continuous dribbling.

You need to get her to the doctor. There are so many things it could be and also may be life or death. I work at a vet office as a dog groomer I see this a lot. If you do not medicate right your asking for more trouble and the dog may be in pain.

After I got my 'pound puppy', I noticed a problem with frequent leaks from her. When I took her to the vet, they tested for urinary infection first, then diagnosed her with an incontinence problem that often happens (especially with dogs spayed through a pound).

When the vet spaying her nicked either a nerve or something which makes it hard for her to hold her urine in between visits outside. She has been put on a medication that she gets twice a day and no more leaks for the last 4 years. Take your puppy to the vet for a thorough check of her urinary tract.

Echoing the previous posters - take your pup to the vet!

If you're worried about the cost of the medication go on Walmart's pharmacy page and look up the drug it very well could only cost you $4.00 per month. If it's on their list all you'll need is an Rx from your vet. My dog had cancer and the meds cost $160/month. I checked with Walmart & cut that expense down to $80.00 per month.