Quinoa Harissa

Tired of eating quinoa plain? Spice it up with some seasoning and toss with corn, spinach, garbanzo beans and green olives. You get a balance of vegetables and protein! You can eat this as is alone, or with other food. Stores well in the fridge for the week.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes + quinoa cooking time

Total Time: 10 minutes + quinoa cooking time

Yield: 12 medium bowls

1. Cook quinoa (follow instructions per packaging). I used 4 cups of quinoa. Time varies depending on your cooking method.
  2. Over medium heat, sauté frozen corn and spinach until unfrozen.
  3. Stir in harissa seasoning (1-2 tablespoons more or less depending on your preference) and garbanzo beans. Gentle mix evenly together.
  4. Once your quinoa is finished cooking. Combine cooked mixture into the bowl of quinoa.
  5. Add in green olives and toss together mixture.

My son introduced me to Quinoa and though I can't say I really like it, I know it's nutritious and I eat it at least once a week. Instead of using plain water though, I cook it in homemade vegetable broth that I always have on hand. It does enhance the flavor of what to me is an otherwise boring dish.

One of the first times I cooked quinoa and didn't know how much it swells, I added it to a homemade soup but put in way too much of it. The leftover soup the next day had turned into a mass that could be sliced. We laughed about the misadventure, called it Mina's quinoa loaf and did enjoy the slices with a gravy on top.

Hi Mina. Yes, quinoa is very healthy and nutritious for you. I generally do not like to eat quinoa plain. I do find lots of alternative ways to spice to up, or add some flavor so it is less bland.

Using vegetable brother instead of plain water is definitely a start!

Hehehe Mina's quiona loaf. I just looked it up and it is actually a thing, quinoa loaf of bread hehehe!

You might try this recipe, Mina. I bring it to potlucks often and people always really love it.

www.thriftyfun.com/tf78484246.tip.html

I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks Jess.

You can never go wrong with a Quinoa Salad. :)

Hi Jess, This past weekend I made the recipe you suggested and it turned out great. Instead of diced tomatoes though I used 1/3 of a bottle of V8 juice that I wanted to move along.

As I said, it was great and I have enough leftover for tonight's supper. Yum. Thanks.

Awesome! V-8 is a wonderful addition. So glad you liked it.

This looks and sounds so good.
Gives me a new way to serve Quinoa.