Raccoons in Garage

I noticed a large number of raccoons walking around my garage at 4am one night, they were at the door of the garage scoping it out. It looked like they were trying to figure out access. 5 days later at least one found access. A hole was dug into the foundation behind my garage and a very large raccoon is in the rafters of my garage; this was during daylight. It was obviously not rabid because it was hiding from us. I don't know how to get it out of the garage.

I left the doors open all night and day and am afraid to go back in and look in rafters. We also patched the hole in the floor/wall so it can not get in or out through that exit/entrance. The raccoon(s) destroyed my garage, every pot tool, etc. is on the ground, broken or a mess. Why would it stay in my garage? There is no longer trash in there because after I put the trash out I have not put any other trash in the garage.

By Debbie M

One way to keep them away is to put bubble wrap or newspaper down. The noise scares them away. He is probably in the rafters because it's a female that's going to have a litter and it is safe in your rafters and out of the elements.

You can call animal control and they will come out and capture it and release it somewhere else. Good luck because they can be very mean. One mauled one of my cats to death and another chased a friend of mine into the house. So be careful.

She's in there looking for a place to have her babies, I'd bet!

Hi - my son had a similar problem and when he called animal control (Florida). They told him that he would have to hire a private company to do this as they only deal with cats and dogs.

He checked on local companies that do this and found they were very expensive as they mostly use tranquilizer guns for racoons. He finally bought a cage trap and caught the critter and carried it to a local forest area. (He had a lot of help!)

But, even in a cage these animals can be very dangerous.