BreadsBaking & Desserts

Recipes for Using Clay Bakers

Category Breads

Recently I acquired a clay baker. I would like to get recipes for using it, especially for making bread. Many years ago I had one, but it got broken and I never got around to getting another one until recently. I do know about soaking for it with cold water for an hour prior to using it and also about placing it into a cold oven.

By Elayne

I use to have one as well. I loved mine, however, the things I made in it were not bread. The cookbook I had was 'Cooking with Clay' and you can order it online even though I got mine over 30 years ago.

Here are two of the recipes I did in it (I still have a record of them):

Game Hens with Apple Stuffing

Serves 2 - 4

2 Cornish game hens

2 tablespoons butter

1 onion, finely chopped

1 apple, peeled and thinly sliced

1 celery rib, chopped

1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs

1 1/2 cups apple cider or chicken broth

2 teaspoons sage

1/2 teaspoon salt

freshly ground black pepper

1 egg, lightly beaten

2 strips bacon, cut in half

Soak the clay pot in water for 10 minutes. Place a tablespoon of butter in the cavity of each hen and truss securely. Combine the chopped onion, apple slices, celery, breadcrumbs, cider or chicken broth, sage, salt, pepper and egg in a bowl. Place these stuffing ingredients in the clay pot. Place Cornish hens on top of the stuffing, breast side up. Cover breasts with bacon. Cover the pot and place in a cold oven. Adjust the heat to 450F and cook for 1 hour.

This recipe was also tested using frozen Cornish hens. It was impossible to remove the giblets, so the hen was simply taken from the freezer and placed in the clay pot on top of the stuffing. It was then cooked for 1 1/2 hours in a 425F oven.

Corn on the Cob

Serves 4

4 ears of corn

3 tablespoons butter, softened

1 cup water

Soak a large clay pot in water for 10 minutes.

Strip the leaves from the corn but keep them attached at the base of each cob. Discard the corn silk. Rub each ear of corn with butter. Replace the leaves around each ear of corn. Place corn in the pot and add the water. Cover and place in a cold oven. Adjust the heat to 400F and cook for 40 minutes.

If the corn is very fresh, it will taste sweeter than any you have ever eaten.