Recovery Time for a Dog With Parvo

I took my puppy to the vet on Friday to just get his shots. The vet checked him for parvo because most of the litter he came from had it and ended up dying after they had their shots. He tested positive for parvo, so they kept him over the weekend. It's now Tuesday and we were told he is doing better. He gets up when he sees people and wags his tail, although, he isn't eating. Is this normal? Will he make it? I'm very worried. He is my first puppy and we've had him since he was about 6 weeks old, he's around 9 months now.

Best Answer

This is normal for a dog with parvo. It can take up to a month for the dog to get back to normal. As long as he is at the vet's and they are taking care of him, I don't think you have anything to worry about. They are keeping him on an IV with fluids. Until he is better they normally don't give them much to eat or drink. Soon they should start giving him a small amount of food and see how he does.

Normally it is recommended that you get the shots for your dog at 6 to 8 weeks old. This will save the dog's life and protect him against Parvo. I'm happy that you have taken him in now before he got really sick.

I think my mastif has parvo.. 6 mos old and HAS HAD PARVO SHOT already.. Why is he so sick? Does this shot not work??

It can take several weeks to recover from parvo

It takes time to recover from parvo. Parvo is a very serious disease for a dog and can be fatal. Sounds like your dog is on the mend.