HealthDogs

Recovery Time for a Puppy with Parvo

My 6 month old puppy was diagnosed with parvo on Saturday. It's now Tuesday and he's made a full recovery as far as eating and drinking. His fever broke and he has energy, no bloody stool. All stools are solid now and there is no diarrhea either.

I'm wondering if I'm in the clear yet or if I still have to worry. He's eating chicken and rice and his dog food and I'm still mixing Pedialyte with his water to make sure he stays hydrated. I caught it very quickly before he stopped drinking and before he was lethargic.

Our emergency clinic wouldn't see him until his diarrhea and puke was bloody, so I lied to get him tested cause his sister died of it. He had it and a very strong strain of parvo (it showed up faster than the 10 mins the test takes). I'm not sure if it is OK to be happy and get my hopes up because it's been only a short amount of time, but I had 20 people praying for him to get better, as well. I am also wondering if I should get him his shots in the next couple of weeks or wait to do it.

I would wait for the vet to tell you he is fully recovered before you vaccinate him.

It sounds like you are in the clear. You sure got after it. That is what it takes. Expect a slower recovery than most viruses. It can take awhile. Most likely a couple of weeks and maybe up to a month. I would ask the Vet about the timing of the vaccinations. With a parvo diagnosis you do not have to vaccinate for parvo.