ToysRecycled Crafts

Recycled Coffee Lid Animals

Vote for this contest contender!

This is a fun way to recycle coffee lids by making cute animals with paint and/or construction/paper. This is a great activity to do with your child (supervision needed for younger children as cutting/hot glue is used.) You can actually tie a ribbon/string knot from the top (of the hole) as an ornament, or make this as a banner for a party, glue to a craft stick or play as is!

Total Time: 2 hours

1. You (or your child) can paint your lids with colors of whatever animals you want to make and allow to dry.
  2. In the meantime, you can prep each animal's features by using an empty non-painted lid. Starting with the butterfly. I freehand drew the butterfly and antennae then cut them out with scissors. Glue antennae to body of butterfly.
  3. Now this is where your child can help decorate the butterfly. While I dab hot glue, my child stuck on the decorations. (This is optional, you can decorate in other ways like with stickers, paint, glitter glue, puffy paint, etc.)
  4. Next for the lady bug prep, freehand and cut the head (half circle), long rectangles, and some circles.
  5. Next for the frog, you can freehand and cut half circles for the eyes, half circle for the mouth and some legs.
  6. For the pig, you can cut triangles and smooth out the tip. Optional cut another piece for the pig ears and glue together.
  7. For the lion, I used craft paper and since I did not have a large enough paper (I glued/taped together). Traced the circle of the lid and cut about 1" around.
  8. Then going around the circle to the circle line traced, cut all around forming the lions face.
  9. Once lids are dried, ready to assemble each animal! Hot glue ears, wiggly eyes and button (as nose) down.
  10. Trace the center of where you want to place the lid. Then go over with hot glue and place the lid over the hot glue to secure.
  11. Trace the head of the ladybug where you want to glue down. Apply hot glue and secure down. Add hot glue to place on the circles/body/eyes.
  12. Repeat same step for the frog.
  13. And lastly same step for the lion, secure down with hot glue. The whiskers and mouth, I drew with black Sharpie. Optional: You can add craft stick to the back of the lid
  14. Ready for your child(ren) to play and use their imagination.