Recycling Plastic Frozen Food Containers

Category Plastic
Finding uses for convenience food containers keep them from going to the landfill. This guide is about recycling plastic frozen food containers.

I don't shop at Costco, but I have friends who do. They save me the black, durable containers from their frozen foods. I am sharing the value of two sizes today.

The first is for my sourdough bread, which is not a square but more of an oblong shape. When I make french toast, it's hard to "squoosh" it down inside a square container. This is the perfect size.

The second is for soaking my flatware. I don't use my dishwasher for anything, but draining my dishes, and for plasticware.

So in the morning, I put in some soapy water and throw in the flatware to soak. When I do my dishes at night they are virtually clean.

I also use them for crafts, the bigger ones from lasagna for holding yarn, storing photos, etc. N-JOY!

And if you are wondering, these are #5 which are safe. I never use them for the microwave, but you can use these for non-food stuff if you have concerns.

For the list of safe numbers on food containers check the link below.

Source:

Link: http://www.babygreenthumb.com/p-122-safe-plastic-numbers-guide.aspx

I purchased the Healthy Choice Asian Beef Teriyaki. Can the container be recycled, not reused?

By Joseph W.

Answers

If the container has a 1-7 inside a small triangle on the bottom, it can be recycled. I reuse some frozen or baked goods products for a lot of things like stacks of magazines to go through, balls of yarn and anything that needs to be corralled. The big cake containers are perfect for soaking dedicates in a sink.

As for cooking in them, they might not hold up well in the microwave but one product I love is the containers that deli meats come in. You can make a small salad without the dressing, putting that in a separate container and keep it chilled till work the next day. That is the best I can do so I hope it helped!

Look on the bottom and the sides for the three bent arrows symbol for recyclables. If there's no symbol, it can't be recycled.