Red, White & Blue Pie
July 4, 2020
This is my husband's favorite. I came up with this pie as a tribute to our daughter while she was serving in Iraq. And yes, that is my photo of my actual pie.
Here's to the Red, White and Blue Pie
Prep Time: 20
Cook Time: 30
Total Time: 40 minutes
Source: My own recipe
- 1 box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 3 lb fresh strawberries (yes, 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (I used blackberries)
- 1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup of Splenda granules)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 box (4-serving size) strawberry gelatin (I used Sugar-Free Black Cherry)
- Heat oven to 450°F. Place 1 crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press crust firmly against side and bottom. Fold excess crust under and press together to form thick crust edge; flute. Prick bottom and side with fork.
- Unroll second crust onto wax paper. Using 2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter, cut stars from pie crust; place on cookie sheet. Bake stars about 5 minutes, crust 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Cool.
- Meanwhile, clean and hull strawberries. Set strawberries, points up, on paper towel to dry. Wash blueberries, dry on paper towel. Place strawberries point sides up in baked pie shell; place blueberries between strawberries. Set aside.
- In 2-quart saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water; heat to rolling boil. Cook a full 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in gelatin. Cool 15 to 20 minutes. Spoon over berries in crust, making sure each piece is covered. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Top each serving with star cutouts.
- NOTE: For cookie stars, I sprinkled with Splenda for Baking and fresh ground nutmeg.
July 5, 20200 found this helpful
ADDENDUM TO THE RECIPE: The cookies were cut from the second crust using a star cookie cutter. I have since found a flag cookie cutter that I will use next time.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.