Relief for Dog's Itchy Ears

I have a Pug/Shih Tzu with floppy ears. His right ear is clearly bothering him. It's red and itchy and he keeps shaking his head. I have intentions of taking him to the vet, but it's late and no vet is open. I was wondering if there was a way to help relieve the itching till I get the chance to get him to the vet.

By Desti F from Alberta, Canada

If you do not know what is causing your dog's ear itching, then you do not know what treatment he needs. If you try to administer any medication over the counter, advice from a "friend", etc., without being absolutely certain it is appropriate to treat the actual problem, you may cause further and, perhaps, more expensive damage to treat the resulting problem.

Please take your dog to your vet immediately. The vet will clarify the itching problem and recommend appropriate treatment.