Relieving Itching for Dogs

My Jack Russell terrier seems to have allergies year round and a cortisone shot every few weeks relieves her itching. But this fall, nothing helps. She is a 7 year old female, mostly indoors. No fleas or ticks; she just scratches all the time. I have tried baths, cortisone cream, raw food, antihistamines. Any ideas?

G. from Oklahoma City

Answers:

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My dog had the same problem. He is now taking an omega-3 supplement. It is for skin and coat, and treats inflammation due to allergies. Since he started on it, he scratches much less. The one I got was from www.healthypetnet.com, and other pet supply sites have it as well. (10/29/2008)

By leelev

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My dog had the same problem. I give her a Vitamin E, 200 mg every day. It took a couple of weeks to start to work, but she has not had any issues for the last 2 years since I started her on them. (10/30/2008)

By chris

Relieving Itching for Dogs

Ask your Vet before giving the dog Benadryl. I suggest that you might try a different dog food. My dog did well on one that had avocados in it. I can't recall the name right now. Buddy died 4 years ago. (10/30/2008)

By Har'iet

Relieving Itching for Dogs

Benadryl works. It relieves the itching from the inside out. (10/31/2008)

By castleberrycc

Relieving Itching for Dogs

My Vet says steroids are not good for dogs. They work in the short term, but may cause harm over the years. I use a tabletop humidifier, and also an old dutch oven (holds several quarts of water on the stove to be simmered or boiled on the stove, depending on the humidity), and I use a mild shampoo that includes a conditioner. I also give my dogs an Omega 3-6-9 soft gel that my Vet regulates. I cannot regulate it, as it is a dietary supplement. You must talk to your Vet about it. The Omega 3-6-9 can cause loose stool in some dogs, so the Vet must regulate it. My Best To You! (11/09/2008)

By Carol R.