Remedies for Hyperactive Dogs

Hyperactive dog with a ball in its mouth.
Hyperactivity is a trait shared by many small to medium dogs. There are many different causes and possible solutions to hyperactivity. This guide contains remedies for hyperactive dogs.

Does castration help with hyperactivity in dogs? I have 2 small terrier dogs who can be walked for how ever long and they are never worn out.

By Barbara D

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I was looking at some of the things to do with hyper dogs. I found that giving them a job during the day can help mentally. Put a towel on the floor and when he lays on it or goes towards it, praise him softly. When you have a hyper dog you don't want to make him more hyper by acting hyper your own self when you praise him.

Also teach him some tricks. When he looks at you click your tongue and tell him something like "good boy." You can also try to teach him to fetch. Here is a youtube video teaching how to fetch.

http://youtu.be/Ccw1uwvbx00

I like the simple things, like watching for what you like and praising him for it throughout the day. Even if it is just sitting, when you see him do it, say "good boy" and either throw a little treat, like hot dog pieces. Always keep in the refrigerator a bowl of little hot dog pieces for training. Leerburg.com is a training site for German shepherds and has lots of good info for training as well.

Here are also some links:

http://www.cesa  ive-Jack-Russell

http://www.cesa  -hyperactive-dog

Blessings, Robyn

Why do people always want to neuter their dogs when they can't figure out what to do about a behavior problem? Good thing we don't do that with our kids! Some breeds are just high energy and most dogs don't slow down until they are 3-4 yrs old. My advice is to get older dogs say 6-7 yrs old who have matured.

No. I had an extremely hyper dog. Jumped all over everything and tore everything apart! Vet gave Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil) some "clomicalm". My dog grew calmer with age. Patience, patience, patience!