Remedies for Shin Splints

Category Home Remedies
A common sports injury that often occurs after running a distance when not in prime shape. This guide contains remedies for shin splints.

I have recently joined the gym and although my body is getting rid of soreness and it is getting easier to exercise for longer periods of time, I have trouble with my shins cramping or getting tired before I barely break a sweat.

Usually it is while I am on the treadmill. For me to get my heartrate up I have to be on at the 3.0-3.5 setting, but after ten minutes, my shin muscles are tired.

Does anyone have any tips on helping this problem? It has been so long since I have worked out I don't remember what stretches will help the shins. I don't want shin splints!

Tawnda

What is the best thing to do for shin splints? I run cross country 7 days a week, and I have a meet in 3 or 4 days. My shins hurt really bad. I've been icing them with frozen peas, it helps but is there anything else out there? Please help soon!

Scott from Missouri Valley, IA

Answers

I ran track and cross country in high school and ALWAYS had shin splints. Try taping your shins...x's down the shin and then tape it on each side...hold it with a piece around at top and one at bottom. In addition, for the next few days using your toes, point them outward and by moving your ankle write out the letters of the alphabet. Also, taking a bottle under your arch and rolling it back and forth will help. Try not to rub the actual shin. Good luck...hope it helps!

Sorry to hear about your shin splints - they are painful. My experience with shin splints involved replacing my runners with new ones. The old ones lost their support.

You may not have shin splints. It could be bilateral anterior compartment syndrome. My son had this in his teens, required surgery.

Soak in a hot tub. The hot water draws out the toxins. I used to get shin splints when I danced in college.

Hello serious runner - have you been to Runner's World beginning runner page? A very good treatment of shin splints. It's at newrunner.com. Run on, forever free!

While at your computer tap your toes, it works the muscle in your shins.

I don't know of any short term remedy for this, however to keep it from re occurring, I suggest you up your intake of Calcium. My husband was a Marine who had this problem all the time, and once he started supplementing calcium into his diet, the problem was significantly reduced.