Remedy for Dog with Itchy Ears

I just got my baby Dachshund from a guy who was running a puppy mill in TN. Since I have had him he's been treated for worms and kennel cough. I finally got him over both of those and now he's scratching his ears and shaking his head enough to wake me up every night. I cleaned his ears out 3 times and I see a lot of brown; I'm assuming is wax. How can you tell the difference between an allergy/infection? Is there anything I can do to help before I take him to the vet in a few days?

You can try a cotton ball soaked in a vinegar and water solution. If it persists, contact the vet.

I am a Dachshund mom myself and my boy, Clarence, gets brown icky stuff in his ears and it is always a fungal infection (not wax) that needs to be treated with a special liquid from the vet. He hates it, but it clears it up quickly. Doxies are prone to this ear thing...I think because they have long ears that get into stuff.

My vet is amazing and sometimes she let's us just call (not have to pay for a visit) and we get the liquid. A few times, she has sold us bottles (at a steep discount) that were opened and returned by people whose dogs never needed a second treatment. I have never had an issue with that (I trust my vet not to sell me something bad) and the meds always worked.

Hope your pup gets relief soon. I would not wait as 9 times out of 10 it is fungal or yeast infections and there are no "home" remedies that the vet recommends for this (LOTS for other things, but not for ears).

Post back what you learn!

Thank you so much for your help. I have scheduled an appointment tomorrow to get them looked at. I will def. keep you posted.

It would seem that your dog has an ear infection, the only way he has relief is by scratching his ears and shaking his head. I would not bother with home remedies, I think you should make an appointment with a vet and get a cream or drops that the vet recommends to put in the dogs ears.

Hi,

I agree with the other posters about not trying a home remedy. I would go to the vet and ask them to identify what the problem is. Bless their hearts, ear problems are so painful. I like to supplement my dogs food with boiled chicken, to make sure they are getting real meat. Also, when your baby is older, I would begin purchasing grain-free food. They have some great ones out there. Many dogs are allergic to corn and grains.

Blessings,

Robyn

I dont know of any home remedies for this. It is almost always a fungal infection that can be treated.