I recently put a potato in the microwave wrapped in wax paper, a silly thing to do, but at the time I didn't think about it. Then I saw the smoke and came to the kitchen to see a fire blazing in the microwave. I was able to clean up the microwave pretty good but the smell is still there! How do I get rid of the smell?
By Cobie_kat from Ohio
Get a new microwave. I did the same thing with a bag of popcorn. I cleaned and cleaned and did all the little tricks with baking soda, vinegar and such. But it still smelled every time I used it and when it got hot. Hope you find something that works, but just do yourself a favor and save the hassle and get a new one. (04/08/2009)
You're never going to believe this one, but it worked the fist time. We just got a new microwave and on the 2nd day we burnt popcorn in it. I immediately completely washed it down inside with Clorox CleanUp (soap plus bleach) twice. Still very bad!
Someone on this site mentioned that enzymatic cleaners for animal urine worked. Because a family member is ill, we have a spray bottle of perineal cleaner (cleans and takes away urine and feces smell). I just wiped down the microwave with it, and NO burnt smell!
Our brand is Aloe Vesta Perineal/Skin Cleanser #1, made by ConvaTec, but any perineal cleanser should work. You should be able to get it at any pharmacy. Cost is probably around $4 per bottle, which should last a LONG time, even if you burn your popcorn often. ;-)
If necessary, I will do the vanilla, fragrance oil, etc. suggestions to clear the fan and vents. But so far, so good.
Thank you for this site and thanks to all the contributors! (06/18/2009)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!