FloorsCleaning

Removing Carpet from Vinyl Floor

Category Floors

I live in a rental home and have indoor/outdoor carpet in my kitchen. After 10 years the carpet is pulling apart in a lot of areas and looking really gross. Who puts carpet in a kitchen? I've decided to remove the carpet as I've discovered there is vinyl underneath.

I started pulling the carpet back in one corner and the vinyl is pretty covered in a yellowish layer of crud. Not sure if it is glue or just the carpet backing itself. I was just using boiling water to soften and then scraping by hand, but I'm feeling this process is going to take forever.

The kitchen is the hub of our house, no matter where you go, you have to go thru the kitchen to get there. So, I really have to do it in sections, I can't just rip out the whole thing and have a giant mess.

Any suggestions as to what may be a little faster than just the hot water and a scraper? Should I use some sort of chemical remover (we have 4 kids, fumes, etc.?)

By Angela C.

I would go the safe and slow route. I would never use chemicals if there is another way. Carpet is nasty and is a petri dish (especially in the kitchen and bathroom). I detest carpet and would never ever ever have it in my home. I would go to any length to remove it. (safely of course). I would walk on plywood or cement before I would ever let carpet into my home. Yes do get rid of it but be safe doing it!