Removing Cat Urine and Feces Odor From Outside

How can I remove cat urine and feces odor from outside in the dirt? A neighbor's cat uses the dirt outside my window as a litter box. Homemade would be great, but will also use ideas for store bought items. Thanks!

By AJ from CA

Answers:

Well, eventually the product and the odors will degrade and disappear due to sunlight. However, the real problem is to stop the cat from going there, which keeps the problem ongoing. I would pour something they might not like in large quantities there: strong vinegar solution, or a bleach solution. You wouldn't need much. I'd do it every day until the cats conclude it is a bad place. Once they are discouraged for long enough time, they probably will pick another area.

Or put down oyster shells. That will definitely discourage them; you can find them at feed stores for a few dollars for a bag. You will not be able to work in the dirt either as it will cut your hands. I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the cat will put it's paws on the shells only one or two steps before concluding it isn't for them; I don't think they would actually dig in it.

Or you could put down tin cans for a week or so, that you normally would put in recycling. Or weighted down, wet newspapers. It might look bad, but only for a while.
Just ask yourself what would a cat never go to the bathroom on, in, or dig in. (07/26/2010)

By PIKKA

I would put down undiluted vinegar where they go which should discourage them. Please don't use any bleach or chemicals harmful to animals. Vinegar is very odorous and unpleasant to animals, but it won't hurt them when they lick their paws. It is also unlawful to use anything harmful to animals.
If you have a dog, you might try putting some of his hair around that spot also. Most cats don't want to risk having a dog in the area. (07/31/2010)

By Stngray