Removing Coffee Stains on a Corian Sink

Category Kitchen
Corian is a beautiful sink and countertop material but it can become stained by coffee and other substances. This is a guide about removing coffee stains on a Corian sink.

I am trying to clean coffee stains from a white Corian sink. What should I use?

Pam from San Diego CA

Answers

By judy, judy , judy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have tried bleach, vinegar and ammonia as well as scrubbed the sink with the pads they provided on installation on a corian sink that has coffee stains. Nothing worked that the Corian company suggested on their web-site. I went to Lowes. The guy there said "yes, that is a problem with Corian". He had no ideas but wanted me to let him know if I found anything that did work.

I went back home and found some "IRON OUT" left over from a problem we had with our water filter this past summer. I sprinkled some on--let it set for 30 seconds and washed it off with warm water and a sponge. TOTALLY GONE. I am amazed that the Corian people don't know this!

Best Answer

I recently got a Corian double sink & counter-top, the sink is white. Wow, was I disappointed at the staining. I am not a fan of using bleach, but Softscrub with bleach did remove the staining. I tried my usual "safe' treatments first, ie. Mr Clean white block scrubber, baking soda, peroxide, & Dollar Tree brand oxi-clean, which always worked on my porcelain sink.

All were a bust :( I did use BarKeepers Friend this morning & it did a good job too, but contains oxalic acid which I am sure is not environmentally or human friendly. I love the Corian sink & counter because there are no seams to get grundgy. So, all in all, I will take the inconvenience of having to use the occasional bleach product over my old Formica & porcelain combo.

How do I remove coffee stains from a Corian sink?

By Judith Spencer from Holt, MI

Answers

Best Answer

Try straight lemon juice, let it sit until stain is gone.

How do I remove discolored stains from beige Corian.

Alan S.

Answers:

Coffee Stains on Beige Corian Sink

Care and Maintenance

The inherent qualities of Corian solid surfaces ensure the ultimate in easy care and renewability. Its nonporous, solid composition makes it easy to live and work with for many years.

Routine Care

Routine daily care and maintenance of Corian is easy. But, because cleaning practices differ around the world, please consult your local supplier of Corian for specific recommended care and maintenance practices and products. Use the following procedures as a guide to everyday care for Corian solid surfaces:

There are three types of countertop finishes: matte, semigloss and gloss.*
All Corian sinks have the matte finish.
Soapy water or ammonia-based cleaners will remove most dirt and stains from all types of finishes.
However, slightly different techniques must be used to remove difficult stains, depending on the finish. Please contact your source for Corian for more information.

*If you are uncertain about what finish you have, call your source for Corian.

Preventing Heat and Other Damage

Although Corian is quite resistant to heat, you should always use a hot pad or a trivet with rubber feet to protect Corian. Hot pans, as well as some heat-generating appliances like frying pans or electric cooking pots, can damage the surface if a hot pad or trivet is not used.

In most cases, Corian can be repaired if it is accidentally damaged. However, be sure to follow these guidelines to prevent any permanent damage to Corian. Avoid exposing Corian to strong chemicals, such as paint removers, oven cleaners, etc. If contact occurs, quickly flush the surface with water. Remove nail polish with a non-acetone-based polish remover and flush with water. Do not cut directly on Corian countertops.

Removing Stains and Fixing Scratches or Burns

Nicks, scratches and cuts are inevitable with any high-use product, including Corian. But because Corian is solid all the way through, it is easy to renew to its original appearance as described below.

Minor damage, including scratches, general or chemical stains, scorches or burns, and minor impact marks, can be repaired on-site with a light abrasive cleanser and a product such as a Scotch-Brite* pad. For heavier damage, light sanding may be necessary. The following steps should be followed:

Renewing Corian

Nicks. Stains. Cuts. Scratches. While these can permanently mar most other surfaces, they won't compromise the appearance of Corian solid surfaces. That's because it's easy to restore Corian to its original state, using an ordinary abrasive cleanser and a cleansing pad such as a green Scotch-Brite* pad. And, if damage does occur, Corian can be repaired on site, saving both downtime and aggravation.

*Scotch-Brite is a trademark of the 3M Company.

(08/04/2008)

By Harry

Coffee Stains on Beige Corian Sink

I get out grape juice stains with the Magic Eraser. (08/04/2008)

By Judi

Coffee Stains on Beige Corian Sink

If it's specifically coffee, you might try "Squeak n' Clean" or equivalent. Linens and Things, Bed and Bath maybe even your grocery might have a specific cleaner for coffeepots that could be tried.
(08/04/2008)

By BeanTownSteve

Coffee Stains on Beige Corian Sink

Coffee stains on beige Corian sinks can be removed fast and easy with a product called "Bar Keeper's Friend." It's found in the cleaning aisle and is along the lines of a Comet or Ajax cleanser, but oh, so much better. It's my favorite household product. How do I know this works on a Corian (beige) sink? I too have a Corian beige sink. Blessings. (08/04/2008)

By Sheryl

Coffee Stains on Beige Corian Sink

If you are certain the sink is Dupont Corian, we recommend Clorox Cleanup with Bleach. You can also dilute household bleach by adding a couple capfuls of bleach to your filled sink. Once the sink is filled with this solution, you can use a Scotchbrite pad (the green one on the back of a sponge) and lightly buff out the stains. We do not recommend this for the surface of the tops as you may scratch the surface if you use too much force with the ScotchBrite pad. (10/08/2008)

By Brian Larimer/Englert Arts Inc.

I have a white Corian sink. How do I get the coffee stains to go away. I constantly use Softscrub, but it doesn't come out. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Penny from NJ

Answers:
Baking Soda 11/06/2004
First I'd make a paste of baking soda and rub that into the stain and let it sit a while. If that doesn't seem to help, make a paste of an oxiclean type powder. It has removed coffee stains from formica. If all else fails, Corian can be sanded. Get a wet/dry sandpaper, fine grit and wet sand the area where the stain is until you get through it.
By Ann
Paper Towel and Bleach 11/06/2004
Put down a paper towel or old white rag. Pour bleach on full strength, just enough for the towel to be wet. Go to bed. In the morning take away the towel and your sink will be white.
By Linda L.
Denture Tablets 11/07/2004
Fill sink partway with hot water, add one or two denture cleaning tablets (cheap store brand)
By kim (Guest Post)
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser 11/08/2004
I have found Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will clean most anything that Soft scrub with bleach won't.
By Sherry (Guest Post)
Greased Lightning 11/09/2004
Greased Lightening cleaner will take out most stains. Peroxide in a spray bottle is good. Clorox clean up too.
By SharonP (Guest Post)
Bleach 01/23/2006
Stop up the sink and run about an inch of warm water. Pour in a quart of regular Clorox bleach. Every so often, swab it up on the sides of the sink. After half an hour or so, the sink will be white again.

For routine cleaning, use the type of Softscrub that comes with bleach added.

www.TopRepair.com has lots of information on problems like this.

By Jim Heaphy (Guest Post)