Removing Dog Urine Stains on Hardwood

I have two Dachshunds that have made it their business to ruin me. I don't have the money to replace these parquet tiles and knowing the maintenance of my building they will charge me three times what it's really worth. How can you clean up and get out dog urine stains and odors from this type of flooring. I'm desperate! Please someone help!

By Joy B.

We bought a house which had large feces, urine and vomit stains in the wood that were hidden by new wall to wall carpet and several odor killers around the house. No cleaning agent helped (we tried!!!) and we finally had to replace the entire wood floor in a three bedroom house.

There are two basic problems with this type of stain-the stain colors and the terrible stench resulting from the organic matter seeping into the wood itself over time. The smell may remain for years so, after several weeks of gagging each time we entered the house, we finally replaced the wood floor.

Good Luck!

When animals behave like this, it usually is a sign that there is a medical problem. It's best to take the pet to a vet when this behavior begins, to find out if it has a urinary tract infection, or some other ailment.

This can prevent the pet from going in the wrong places in the future. Also, as soon as this starts, you should clean and deodorize the area and block or cover it to prevent repeat offenses.

What a snooty answer from someone who doesn't know how notorious Weiner dogs are for this behavior. Geesh.
Try the hydrogen peroxide.. And ignore the rude person. Sorry you got trolled for such a simple thing.

Anonymous

Use Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer full strength, do not dilute it. It really works. You can get online or in pet stores. Do not use a substitute.

Anonymous

There is no right answer to this question or there are multiple ones. It all depends on level of severity. I flip homes and have been in some very bad ones. My first experience with this I tried all the cleaning products in this blog. They just seemed to add smells to the urine. I have heard that if you keep dumping hydrogen peroxide or vinegar on it for weeks the smell will eventually go away. Not sure but it makes sense. If your floors are old and poorly sealed so the urine was able to penetrate the wood the only way I've been able to get rid of it is paint it.

Use zinser or Kilz primer sealer. I've used 5 gallons on 400sq ft. That was 4 very very heavy coats (not painting so much as mopping.) Then paint it with interior floor paint. After you paint it you can leave it or add anything over it. The paint gives a nice soft foundation for anything you lay and acts a a good subfloor. If you're worried about continued pee you can get some cheap laminate flooring that is water resistant for about 50c/sq ft. If it's bad cleaning it will just make it worse. Mop with clean water, let it dry, then paint it until the floor is a layer of plastic.

Hi joy, I too have tried so many tricks including vinegar water mixture to remove the dog urine stains and odor from the hardwood floor of our 30 year old home. Finally it was my husband who bought me a Hoover FloorMate Cleaner 64oz from the nearby shop here in Canada. It really worked well. You too may try once.

What chemical did use in the Hoover? I have one and want to try it.