Removing Double-Sided Tape

Category Miscellaneous
Double-sided tape leaves twice as much sticky residue that can be tricky to remove. With some helpful tips, it's not an impossible task and can even be a breeze. This is a guide about removing double-sided tape.

My daughter had a long mirror attached to her closet door with the double sided tape it came with. Now my daughter, and her mirror, are gone but the tape is still stuck hard to the door. Any suggestions on how to remove the tape without damaging the door? It is varnished pine.

Doodle from Browns Mills, NJ

Answers

Try Gunk Hand cleaner. You get this at auto supply store. Mechanics use it to clean engine grease. It is lanolin based so it doesnt eat in to the finish but works to remove things attached to the finish. Just use a fine steel wool and scrub with the grain of the finish. It should break down in a few minutes. Varnish has a habit of collecting dirt in its finish so you may have to clean the entire door in order to keep the color consistent.

Goo-gone will work.

Candle wax remover works!

Try WD-40.

WD-40 always worked the best for me. We had seven kids and I always kept it in the house!

I have removed some of the plastic from windows and the 2 sided taped that holds the plastic is removing the seal and stain of the wood.

I have been to the store and tried to touch up with a stain and a stain with polyurethane. It looks as though I will need to strip/sand and start over?

Any advice, please.

Answers

Not sure I can help with the part you have already removed but... for the remainder or future projects.. use a blowdryer to warm the tape.. it helps removal without so much stripping of the paint... I have also used this idea by warming a dry cloth in the microwave (putin a small boowl of water to help aoid possible damage to oven), then hold cloth over area to heat the tape.

Hope this helps,
stardust27610(at)yahoo(dot)com