Removing Grease Smell from Clothing

My son has worked in restaurants for many years and is now the manager, but his clothes always seem to smell like the grease and other odors from the kitchen. When he lived at home I tried everything to clean them, but was never able to remove the smell. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sheree from Fredericksburg, VA

Answers:

Removing Grease Smell from Clothing

I have bought a soap/cleaning product called De-Greaser. Bought it at Wal-Mart a long time ago. My guess is it is right up your alley. Not sure if they make it anymore though. I have also heard of using a cup of vinegar in your wash load. (01/07/2009)

By Dedeswrkshop

Removing Grease Smell from Clothing

I use a spray called Odoban. It takes any smell out from fabric, carpet, to garbage cans. I buy it from Sams Club. (01/08/2009)

By Lyn

Removing Grease Smell from Clothing

Use 1/2 to 1 cup of ammonia, I use lemon scent, and add this to laundry soap. It will be gone. (01/10/2009)

By meoowmom

Removing Grease Smell from Clothing

Pinkstuff. That's actually its real name, too. Check an auto supply store for it. Absolutely fantastic on kerosene, gas, etc. I don't see why it wouldn't work on cooking oil. The instructions are on the back for use in the laundry. Good luck (01/10/2009)

By HSLINKS

Removing Grease Smell from Clothing

Some "Green" solutions that work:

• Try "Simple Green", a de-greaser (and smells great), sold at Walmart in auto dept.

or

• Along with your regular detergent use 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar. After machine has started and everything is mixed, let it sit for at least 20 min. I always use vinegar in the final rinse for all my laundry instead of fabric softener which also eliminates odors. (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup).
Good luck from a neighbor in Maryland (01/10/2009)

By marylu22

Removing Grease Smell from Clothing

Buy some liquid Fresh-Wave to put in washing machine, and it will take the odor out. Fresh - Wave also comes in spray and crystals. Can buy at some ACE, True Value, and many pet stores. Great for removal of any odors. (01/10/2009)

By WIsgal

Removing Grease Smell from Clothing

Try hot water. I hope it works. I know my daughter's clothes smelled like food when she worked in a restaurant as a student. I think hot water will help with the greasy smell. Good luck (01/10/2009)

By Carol in PA