Removing Grease Stains from Clothing

Grease or oil stains can be difficult to remove from clothing. This is a guide about removing grease (oil) stains from clothing.

Just recently as I was eating a quesadilla, grease spilled out of the end of the piece I was eating and spilled on my shorts. The shorts are 100% cotton. I washed them once and hang dried them and the stains are still there. Any ideas on the best method to remove the stain?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Brandon! I always have good luck with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I put it on the grease spot (even old spots that have been washed in), rub it in and wash as usual. Sometimes you may have to repeat it but, more often than not, it comes out the first time. Hope this helps.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have used ammonia, which works well, however, shampoo works well also. After all, it takes grease out of your hair. Works good on ring around the collar too.

Best Answer

Also, GOOP handcleaner takes grease and oil stains out really well

By Jeff Lance (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Brandon,

I recently wound up with some basalmic salad dressing (read: oil based) on a cotton polo shirt. I took the advice of some folks on this board and put a couple of drops of Dawn dishwasing liquid directly on it. I let it sit for a couple of hours and then threw it in the wash. It came completely out. I'm obviously very satisfied. Give it a try.

Jeff in Cerritos, CA

By BSN (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Use Corn Starch. Rub a little powdered corn starch into the stain and let it sit for about an hour. Then shake and brush the corn starch out of the fabric. Wash as usual.

Corn Starch works in a similar fashion to oil dry that mechanics use to soak up oil on a garage floor.

By Amanda and Madison (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi Brandon,
We are doing a project on this subject. Tide does NOT work.
Baking soda works on a vegetable oil stain. But, not on a car oil stain. We recommend you to try cornstarch. It's the best solution we tried yet. Good luck with the stain.

My son has a red Ohio State hoodie and got grease on it from his job. He washed and dried it in hopes that the grease would come out. It didn't come out.

He had asked me to see if I could get it out, I used carbon tec (the chemical the dry cleaners use), after I sprayed it with that, I used a toothbrush on it, then sprayed it with Simple Green scrubbed it again with the toothbrush. I washed and dried it in hopes to getting the stain out.

Is the stain in there forever or is there something else I can use to get the grease out?

By Chris T. from Sagamore Hills, OH

Answers

Best Answer

It is hard to remove grease, and drying the garment sets the stain in, so it is possible the stain will not come out. But you can try Lestoil or those waterless hand cleaners mechanics use. One is called Goop. Or try a spray on degreaser like Fantastic. Don't expect miracles, though.

Best Answer

Dawn dish detergent (original kind) on the front and back of the stain, let soak in then wash. Do this over again until stain is gone.

Best Answer

GOOP! I live with a house full of mechanics. It works wonderful.

Put a little on the stain. Rub with fingers make sure its in, then toss in laundry. Can also use it safely in washer.

I recently applied flea/tick drops to my dog's back. Not long after, I forgot and snuggled up next to her back. Now I have this oily stain on my tee shirt and can't get it out. Any suggestions?

By Cricket P.

Answers

Best Answer

I have gotten oily stains out with a bit of Dawn dish soap. Put some on the stain and in the wash cycle. Do not put in dryer until you are certain it came out as heat sets the stain, hang it dry.

If that doesn't work, go to the dollar store and get some 'awesome' degreaser in the pump bottle. (Its a clear plastic pump bottle, the degreaser is yellowish.) Spray it on the fabric and wash.

Best Answer

Pears Bar soap works great on just that type of oil..Works really good on polyester material as well. Rub the spot with damped bar & wash as usual.

Best Answer

I have had good luck with an orange peel cleaner. I've forgotten the name, but I got it in the laundry section of the local grocery store. It is an orange liquid made from orange peels.

I bought a pair of lovely royal blue cotton trousers, but something leaked in my bag, it was grease. I washed them straight away, but alas the stain was still there. So this time I massaged Fairy liquid into the area and washed again; now there's a small amount of stain left, but it is noticeable. What can I do now?

By Mandy

Answers

Best Answer

I have had good luck with Dawn and Dove dish liquid. Dampen the spot, work in a little of the dish liquid. Let it really soak in - and then wash.

How do I remove set in grease stains?

By Susan Blevins from Creston, NC

Answers

Best Answer

Lestoil is a strong grease remover, but it has a strong smell. Just treat the spots and let it sit a while, rubbing the material together, then launder. The stain may need several treatments.

I have had good luck using a spray cleaner from dollar stores called Awesome--it's an amber colored liquid.

How do I removed grease stains from clothes, all types of material?

By pussycat from Birmingham, England

Answers

Best Answer

Dawn dishwashing liquid will remove grease and other stains; just be sure to not use the one with bleach.
The cheapest way is to buy the hand cleaner that mechanics use to clean their hands with. Some of it is called Goop or Go-Jo and there are also cheaper off brands that work; just rub a little into the stain and wash as usual.

If the item is nylon, plain old Crisco or cheaper stuff will remove black auto grease; this is tried and true by me.
Hope one of these works for you.

Best Answer

Shampoo works. Any cheap shampoo will do.
Doris

How do you remove old grease stains from clothing?

By sandra from Cyprus

Answers

Best Answer

I work at a Seamstress shop and we get a lot of grease stains out with ease out. Sold at Fabricville and maybe other material and craft stores. I've seen it get grease out of garments previously sent out to dry cleaners. This may help.

Best Answer

Shampoo was a massive help! Thank you so much @rforbes! I used Tresseme too! I got garlic bread greese on some chinos, and from what I can tell it's almost totally gone! If I do it again, I reckon it'll be completely gone! :D

Is there a good homemade formula for removing chocolate or grease stains from cotton clothing?

By Tracy Leonard from Kansas City, MO

Answers

Best Answer

Years ago I read a tip about using cheap shampoo to remove ring around the collar. I figured if shampoo would remove that 'grease and grime' it would also remove grease splatters from cooking. It 'does' work for that, and lots of other stuff too. I'm not sure about the chocolate, but it's worth a try.

Best Answer

I use dish soap on my husbands t-shirts even if the grease is dry it will still remove it. Get a good name brand dish soap put it on full strength, let it sit for an hour or two, wash in warm water. It cuts the grease.

How do I remove lobster stains from a delicate white top?

Answers

Best Answer

Most likely you are talking about butter stains and these can be very difficult to remove - especially from a delicate fabric.

• If it is a fresh stain you may be able to remove most of the stain with baby powder or baking soda.
  • If the stain is already set then you might try a dish washing soap (like grease cutting Dawn).
  • Lay garment with stain showing (only one layer of cloth) on clean towel and apply liquid soap. Rub in with a toothbrush and let sit for about 30 minutes.
  • Run under hot to hotter water (whatever your fabric can take) until all soap is removed.
  • It may take more than once to completely remove the stain. Then wash (delicate garment should be washed in a lingerie garment bag) in warm water.
  • Check to be sure stain is gone before placing in dryer.
  • Stains can sometimes be removed if placed in the sun (on top of a clean white towel) by keeping garment wet and moving to different clean places on the towel.
  • Here is a link that gives full directions for any of these treatments.
  • https://www.wik  -out-of-Clothing

I have just plain cotton t-shirts that have splattered grease spots on them for cooking and they have been washed several times and dried. Now I have a big pile of fairly new t-shirts that all look like they have wet spots on them. Any suggestions on how to get those out?

Thanks!
Shelley from UT

I need a stain remover to take out set in oil and grease stains. Any suggestions?

By Judy S.

Answers

Best Answer

Depends on type of material, but dawn really is a miracle worker! Just dap a little on, massage it in and let it set for a little while and wash as usual.

I have some really difficult set in stains in some shirts. The stains I believe are grease and dirt. I have tried OxiClean, and other stain removers, but have not been able to get out these stains. I have even washed these shirts in hot water. Can you possibly offer a solution?

By Anthony Kidd from Greenville, SC

Load More