Removing a Grease Stain on Polyester

Dawn detergent is the hands down recommended winner in the fight against grease stains on clothing and other fabrics. This is a guide about removing a grease stain on polyester.

I need to know how to get grease out of my mother's 76% polyester and 24% Viscose dress. I need help, and as soon as I can get it. Thanks.

By Emily from Grindrod, BC

Answers

Best Answer

Pre-treat it with a heavy dose of Dawn dish soap (NOT with bleach) and let it sit overnight. Wash clothing using Dawn dish soap in place of laundry soap.

How do you remove dried in grease stains from polyester knit?

By Charlene Richardson from MI

Answers:

Grease Stain on Polyester

I have two suggestions. One is lemon juice (removes a number of stains) and the second is Dawn detergent.
Good luck.

Carla (11/05/2009)

By carla

How do you get car grease out of polyester pants?

Thanks,
Reba

Answers:

Black Grease Stain on Polyester Down Coat

My boyfriend's mom uses this stuff called Lestoil. It gets everything out of clothes, food, grease, oil, and sauce stains. It's very helpful.

Just use a small "dime sized" drop on the spot and just barely rub it in. You don't want to use too much because it can be rough on clothes. I also don't recommend rubbing the fabric together with the oil, it'll do it's job without much help. It has a lot of garage/commercial uses as well, so its not the gentlest thing out there, but it works great on oil/grease.

You can find it at the grocery store, most likely. If you can't, try auto shops.

Good luck. (02/08/2005)

By Maria

You might want to try a hand cleaner (DL, etc.) like people use when they work on cars and other greasy things. I always use some cheap brand I bought at Dollar General, and I've never had a grease stain I couldn't remove, even if the clothes had been through the drier. It's also never stained anything I've used it on, and I've used it on several kinds of material. I put it on and rub the material together for a couple of seconds, sit aside for a few minutes, then wash in hot water if the color can take it.

You can also let it sit for a week or so, it's never hurt my stuff. If this doesn't take it all out, repeat. (02/08/2005)

By terry

You might try lighter fluid or dry cleaning fluid (from any major department store). Good luck. (02/08/2005)

By Carolyn

Try Goo Gone.

Tori (02/08/2005)

By Tori

A web company aloetherapy.com carries a product called Orange Clean that has removed some amazing stains at our house. Their products are all natural and they will give a money back guarantee. It's not expensive and I use many of their products and have absolutely no complaints. (02/09/2005)

By Joy

Grease Stain on Polyester

I've been able to get grease/oil stains out with Dawn, most of the time. If that doesn't work a hand cleaner called GOJO works really well too. It's meant for mechanics and has some grit in it so it's not the best for delicate fabrics.

Good luck.

Rebekah (07/25/2005)

By Rebekah