Grease Stain on Cotton Shorts

Just recently as I was eating a quesadilla, grease spilled out of the end of the piece I was eating and spilled on my shorts. The shorts are 100% cotton. I washed them once and hang dried them and the stains are still there. Any ideas on the best method to remove the stain?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Best Answer

I always have good luck with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I put it on the grease spot (even old spots that have been washed in), rub it in and wash as usual. Sometimes you may have to repeat it but, more often than not, it comes out the first time. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Lestoil takes out any grease stain - even old ones that have gone through the dryer a few times. Just pour a little in the cap, pour it on the stain and let it soak for a little while. Wash as normal and it will be gone!

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have used ammonia, which works well, however, shampoo works well also. After all, it takes grease out of your hair. Works good on ring around the collar too.

Best Answer

Also, GOOP handcleaner takes grease and oil stains out really well

By Jeff Lance (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I recently wound up with some balsamic salad dressing on a cotton polo shirt. I took the advice of some folks on this board and put a couple of drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid directly on it. I let it sit for a couple of hours and then threw it in the wash. It came completely out. I'm obviously very satisfied. Give it a try.

Jeff in Cerritos, CA

By BSN (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Use Corn Starch. Rub a little powdered corn starch into the stain and let it sit for about an hour. Then shake and brush the corn starch out of the fabric. Wash as usual.

Corn Starch works in a similar fashion to oil dry that mechanics use to soak up oil on a garage floor.

You could try putting brown paper over the stain and iron over this with a hot iron. Normally the paper should abosorb the grease but i think you need to do it before you wash. The detergent may have set the stain for good. Good luck!

Pour some half ammonia/half water on the stain then rub stain thoroughly with Fels-Naptha soap. Roll them up and let them "soak" for 30 minutes, then toss in the wash and wash as usual.

By Ann (Guest Post)

Use Dawn dishwashing liquid. If it's a bad stain I might squirt some on the spot and let it sit for an hour or so before washing it with the rest of the clothes.

Since you didn't dry them in a dryer it should come out. It has to be Dawn, not just any dishwashing liquid.

By Amanda and Madison (Guest Post)

Hi Brandon,
We are doing a project on this subject. Tide does NOT work.
Baking soda works on a vegetable oil stain. But, not on a car oil stain. We recommend you to try cornstarch. It's the best solution we tried yet. Good luck with the stain.

I have had good luck removing grease stains from cotton tee shirts, etc using Shout and Neutrogena shampoo. I spray the stain with the Shout then add a generous coating of the Neutrogena shampoo. Then soak in cold water for a couple of hours before washing as normal. I have had to treat a stain twice on occasion. Good luck!

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJune 17, 2005
🎂
🌻
📓