Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

I have black mold in my Sub Zero refrigerator. Any suggestions?

By Marilyn

Answers:

Black Mold In Refrigerator

Remove food, turn off refrigerator, and clean with a solution of warm water and bleach. It should take care of your mold problem. (11/19/2009)

By MCW

Black Mold In Refrigerator

Vinegar has always worked great for me. Pour some in a spray bottle and spray the inside of your fridge. Let it sit for 10 minutes then wipe out. Vinegar is an excellent alternative to cleaning chemicals. Hope that helps. Best of wishes. (11/20/2009)

By rblave000

Black Mold In Refrigerator

There are two very effective ways to kill mold in the refrigerator:

1. Make a spray solution of 1 bottle of hydrogen peroxide and water (1/2 and 1/2); then spray the affected area and away the mold goes.

2. I sell bulk health supplements and usually have olive leaf powder on hand. Olive leaf powder (about 1/2 cup) dissolved in about a quart of water, kills mold also, and lasts a very long time. Frontier Coop sells olive leaf powder by the pound. These two solutions will kill mold wherever you find it: refrigerator, on the walls in basement, etc.

Peace and health, Joyce in Connecticut (11/21/2009)

By akiba37

Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

We have a GE Monogram Refrigerator and have been battling the mold issue as well. Our phone call last year to GE provided us with nothing! We will now try the route of changing the fan in the hopes of curing the problem. It is frustrating for sure! (12/31/2009)

By gymgrl

Removing Mold from a Refrigerator

Cinnamon oil. Especially if the smell persists after you've cleaned the interior thoroughly.

I accidentally unplugged our fridge/freezer for two weeks while we were gone for Christmas, and when we came back, the entire interior was coated in mold. We cleaned the fridge in and out with bleach and warm water, then left it open (keeping our food outside) for a week. There was no visible mold, but it still smelled so strong that you could smell it from outside the apartment. We tried putting the food back in, but everything smelled and tasted of mold, even when we kept it in Ziploc bags. We cleaned it again with bleach and water. The next day we cleaned it with lemon juice, salt, and water. Slightly better. But still terrible. The problem was that the mold had grown into the air duct systems, and there was no way we could access those areas to clean them. When we would plug the fridge in after cleaning the air that would blast out and would be noxious and overwhelming.

Finally, I told my girlfriend that we would get a new fridge if the smell wasn't completely gone in 5 days. This seemed impossible. I found some studies saying that cinnamon oil is a superb antiseptic, and has been shown to slow mold growth in moldy bread by more than 10 days when the oil coats the paper around the bread. Why not give it a try, I thought, since nothing else was working.

I bought 2 oz of cinnamon oil in Manhattan for $30 (you can get it somewhat cheaper on the internet). I covered the bottoms of two small porcelain bowls with cinnamon oil and placed the bowls in the fridge. A couple of times a day I would blow a hair dryer, on high heat, into the bowls so that the oil was heated and diffused (use a face mask--this stuff is strong!) throughout the fridge and freezer. I kept it up until the bowls were very hot. Then I would close the doors. The smell was very nice compared to the mold smell that we'd lived with for the previous 3 weeks. I tried to blow the oil especially into the hidden areas that were accessible to air/mold.

Within 2 days, the mold smell was almost completely gone. Within 4 days all you could smell was cinnamon. I continued the treatment for about 5 days. It's been about 3 weeks now, and the fridge and freezer both smell impeccable, if cinnamony. My girlfriend is amazed and very pleased.

The research supports this stuff. It's a little work, and the cinnamon oil is expensive, but it's a miracle. I promise it works. (02/13/2010)

By Dasein