Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture

How can I get the mothball smell out of my cabinets?

Tim from Clements, MD

Answers:

Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture

My mom put about 20 mothballs in each couch of ours so 40 in total. The smell is so bad, it's on our clothes and has made its way into our closets. Family makes fun of us cause the mothball smell turned into a poop smell. We tried baking soda with water and sprayed it, we tried febreeze and nothing has worked. What can I do? (06/07/2007)

By Maricela

Cedar Chest with Mothballs

I came across a cedar chest that is about 70 years old, and I am in the middle of refinishing it. My problem, it smells like moth balls. What can I do? (01/19/2008)

By Paul

Removing Mothball Smell from house

How do I remove the smell of moth balls from a house, which had 4 boxes of moth balls in it? (06/28/2008)

Removing Mothball Smell from Furniture

I bought an antique dresser about 2 years ago which smelled fine until I moved into a new house and all of a sudden the dresser reeked of old moth balls (I suspect the move in the U-Haul in mid July heat caused a release of the smell). I tried to wipe the inside unfinished wood with Tongue Oil but it only masked the smell for about a couple of weeks then it was back. So, knowing that heat causes items to off-gas odors, I took the dresser outside in the dry and hot Arizona sun for a day (94 degrees on 17SEP) with all the drawers laid out separate from the shell and so far, so good. (09/18/2008)

By Eric in Tucson