Removing Musty Odor On Flooded Carpet

I had a roof leak and rain water entered down my wall to the floor. I rented a carpet steamer to get the water out of the carpet and pad. It smells really bad. I pulled the carpet back to let the pad dry out, but it really has a bad odor. How do I get rid of this odor?

By keith gussoni from New Orleans

Answers:

Removing Musty Odor On Flooded Carpet

I work at a floor covering store. First of all, you will need to totally remove the pad. The pad will hold in moisture and mold. Next, you will need a restoration company, such as Service Master, to come in to clean and deodorize your carpet. Then, contact your local floor covering store and have them come out and install new pad and re-install your carpet. This is only way to properly get rid of the smell. (01/29/2010)

By Vicki Keyes

Removing Musty Odor On Flooded Carpet

Why not call a company that does fire/flood restoration? They would probably be better able to help you. (01/29/2010)

By Poca